BYU at West Virginia Prediction - College Football Picks 11/4/23
West Virginia Mountaineers (5-3) vs BYU Cougars (5-3)
Game Info: Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 7:00 pm (Mountaineer Field at Milan Puskar Stadium)
Betting Odds: West Virginia Mountaineers -8 -- Over/Under: 50.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: FOX Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Brigham Young Cougars will head out to Morgantown to meet the West Virginia Mountaineers in Big 12 play this weekend from Puskar Stadium on FOX. WVU won the lone meeting back in 2016 after defeating BYU at home by three, 35-32.
Brigham Young Cougars Preview
BYU dropped to 5-3 after losing to Texas in Austin, 35-6. The Cougars were unable to finish in the red zone against the Longhorns, and they’ll attempt to bounce back in this cross country road trip. The BYU offense is scoring 27.6 ppg, while passing for 219.4 ypg, rushing for 81.3 ypg, and converting 29% of their third downs.
BYU Player Notes
• Kedon Slovis looked uncomfortable in Austin last weekend, passing for just 197 yards with a pair of interceptions. The veteran quarterback has struggled through three road conference starts, and he’ll face another uphill battle here in Morgantown. Slovis has passed for 1,715 yards, with 12 touchdowns to six interceptions through eight games.
• Freshman back LJ Martin gained a season-high 93 yards in the win over TTU, and he leads BYU in rushing yards (438).
• Sophomore wideout Chase Roberts has found the endzone in two of the last four games, and he leads BYU in receptions (33) and (459) receiving yards.
• The BYU defense is allowing 25.6 points per game.
West Virginia Huskies Preview
West Virginia moved to 5-3 after defeating Central Florida in Orlando. 41-28. The Mountaineers used three fourth quarter touchdowns to hold off the Knights, and they’ll look to bounce back from a homecoming loss to Oklahoma State this weekend. The WVU offense is scoring 30.8 ppg, while passing for 300.6 ypg, rushing for 203.3 ypg, and converting 43% of their third downs.
WVU Player Notes
• Garrett Greene passed for 156 yards and found the endzone three times on the ground last week against Central Florida. The Tallahassee native has brought energy to the offense since taking over the QB1 role last month.
• Sophomore back CJ Donaldson Jr. went for a season best 121 yards in the over UCF, and he leads WVU in rushing with 574 yards on 133 touches.
• N.C. State transfer Devin Carter scored in OKST loss, and he leads the Mountaineers in receiving yards (358), on 20 catches.
• The WVU defense is allowing 26.5 points per game.
Brigham Young vs West Virginia Trends
• BYU is 3-5 against the spread, with a 5-3 O/U record.
• WVU is 5-3 ATS, with a 5-3 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
This line has jumped by nearly a full touchdown, as WVU is 4-1 in Morgantown, and all three of BYU’s losses have come on the road. The Cougars have looked completely outmatched in their last two road games, and with the Mountaineers also looking to avenge a homecoming loss to Oklahoma State, leaning on the hosts is a real option here. While I like WVU to bring this one home, I believe the positive total trend for both schools continues here, so let’s back the Over for this first-time Big 12 battle.