Kent State vs Akron Prediction - College Football Picks 11/1/23
Akron Zips (1-7) vs Kent State Golden Flashes (1-7)
Game Info: Wednesday, November 1, 2023 at 7:30 pm (Summa Field at InfoCision Stadium)
Betting Odds: Akron Zips -3.5 -- Over/Under: 38.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPNU Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Kent State Golden Flashes will play the Akron Zips in a MAC game on Wednesday night at InfoCision Stadium in Akron, Ohio. Kent State is still searching for their first FBS win this year, while Akron is also without a FBS win.
Kent State Preview
The Kent State Golden Flashes are 1-7 (0-4) this season after they lost to Buffalo by a score of 24-6 in their last game. Kent State led 6-0 in the first quarter, but that was all the scoring they were able to come up with in the loss. The Golden Flashes were out gained by a total of 331-164 and they went 4-17 on third downs in the game. Kent State’s only win this season came against Central Connecticut State in their third game of the season by a score of 38-10. The Kent State offense is scoring 12.5 points per game with 142.5 passing yards per game and 117.3 rushing yards per game, while going 28.8% on third downs. Michael Alaimo has thrown for 932 yards, two touchdowns, and four interceptions for the Golden Flashes this season. Gavin Garcia has rushed for 374 yards and two touchdowns, while Chrishon McCray has caught 35 passes for 449 yards and two scores. The Kent State defense is giving up 33 points against per game this season.
The Akron Zips are 1-7 (0-4) this year after they lost to Bowling Green by a score of 41-14 in their last game. Akron led 7-3 in the first quarter, but Bowling Green scored the next 38 points for the win. The Zips were out gained by a total of 297-279 and turned the ball over four times in the loss. Akron’s lone win came against Morgan State by a score of 24-21 in their second game of the year. The Akron offense is averaging 15.4 points per game with 188.9 passing yards per game and 91.1 rushing yards per game, while going 30.6% on third downs. Jeff Undercuffler Jr. has thrown for 598 yards, two touchdowns, and six interceptions for the Zips this year. Lorenzo Lingard has rushed for 388 yards and two touchdowns, while Daniel George has caught 31 passes for 298 yards. The Akron defense is allowing 29.4 points against per game this year.
Akron Zips Team Facts
- Akron has lost each of its last 10 games against conference opponents at InfoCision Stadium.
- Akron has failed to cover the spread in nine of its last 10 home games in November.
- Akron has lost the first half in eight of its last nine games against conference opponents at InfoCision Stadium.
- Each of Akron's last four November games as a home favorite against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
Kent State Golden Flashes Team Facts
- Kent State has lost seven of its last eight games.
- The favorite has covered the spread in seven of Kent State's last eight games.
- Seven of Kent State's last eight November games as an underdog have gone OVER the total points line.
- Akron has suffered the equal-most road losses by a margin of three points or less of any FBS team this season (2).
- Kent State has suffered the most road losses by a margin of 20+ points of any FBS team this season (4).
- Kent State has suffered the equal-most road losses by a margin of 25+ points of any FBS team this season (3).
Both of these teams have been terrible this season and they are definitely two of the worst teams in the country, but the good news is that one of them is going to get their first FBS win of the year in this game. Akron has had two close games recently, losing by seven points to CMU and three points in overtime to Buffalo. Kent State has lost by at least 14 points in every loss this season. Offensively, neither of these teams are averaging more than 280 yards per game, so we should be in for a sloppy game on offense. I do think Akron will get this win, but there is no way I am laying more than a field goal with either of these teams. Give me Kent State and the points.