Western Michigan at Eastern Michigan Prediction - College Football Picks 10/28/23
Eastern Michigan Eagles (4-4) vs Western Michigan Broncos (2-6)
Game Info: Saturday, October 28, 2023 at 1:00 pm (Rynearson Stadium)
Betting Odds: Eastern Michigan Eagles +3 -- Over/Under: 44 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Western Michigan Broncos will make the in-state trip to Ypsilanti to face the Eastern Michigan Eagles from Rynearson Stadium on ESPN+. EMU and WMU have faced off in every season since 1976, and although the Broncos hold the series lead, 34-22-2, the Eagles have won four straight dating back to 2019.
Western Michigan Broncos Preview
Western Michigan fell to 2-6 after losing to Ohio in Athens, 20-17. The Broncos couldn’t overcome a slow start, and they’ll look to avoid a fourth straight loss this weekend. The WMU offense is scoring 23.9 ppg, while passing for 215.9 ypg, rushing for 160.5 ypg, and converting 36.1% of their third downs.
WMU Player Notes
• Hayden Wolff took over behind center for Treyson Bourguet last week, and he kept the Broncs within striking distance by going 30/42 for 290 yards with a touchdown to an interception. The ODU transfer has looked good in limited action, and he may be able to get them out of this skid with another strong effort this weekend. Wolff has passed for 698 yards, with four touchdowns to two interceptions thru four games.
• Freshman back Jalen Buckley didn’t have much room to operate against Ohio, but he still leads WMU in rushing yards (637), with five scores.
• Sophomore wideout Kenneth Womack caught a career-high 14 passes last week, and he leads the Broncos in receptions (49) and receiving yards (438).
• The WMU defense allowed 34.2 points per game.
Eastern Michigan Eagles Preview
Eastern Michigan moved to 4-4 after losing to Northern Illinois in DeKalb, 20-13. The Eagles let NIU hold them scoreless in the fourth quarter, and they’ll look to rebound here at home. The EMU offense is scoring 18.3 ppg, while passing for 143.1 ypg, rushing for 112.6 ypg, and converting 34% of their third downs.
EMU Player Notes
• Austin Smith struggled again on the road last week, only passing for 151 yards, with a pair of interceptions. The junior quarterback has been a tale of two tapes this season, as he’s performed noticeably better at home, and he’ll to keep that trend going here against WMU. Smith has passed for 1,103 yards, with six touchdowns to three interceptions through eight games.
• Senior back Samson Evans has scored in four straight games, and he leads the Eagles in rushing with 399 yards.
• Veteran wideout Tanner Knue leads EMU in receptions (32) and (305) receiving yards.
• The EMU defense is allowing 19.5 points per game.
Western Michigan vs Eastern Michigan Trends
• WMU is 5-3 against the spread, with a 5-3 O/U record.
• EMU is 5-3 ATS, with a 3-5 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
Western Michigan being favored here is interesting, as they’re skidding, and Eastern Michigan is undefeated at home this season. What EMU lacks offensively, they hone on the defensive end, and there’s a good chance they can lean on that unit to get back above .500. The Under will be in play, but let’s spot EMU the points for this in-state battle.