UMass vs Army Prediction - College Football Picks 10/28/23
Army Black Knights (2-5) vs Massachusetts Minutemen (1-7)
Game Info: Saturday, October 28, 2023 at 12:00 pm (Blaik Field at Michie Stadium)
Betting Odds: Army Black Knights -15.5 -- Over/Under: 45.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: CBSS Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The UMass Minutemen will make the trip to West Point to face off with the Army Black Knights this weekend from Mitchie Stadium on CBS Sports. Army has won all five meetings, including a massive 44-7 victory in Amherst last season.
Massachusetts Minutemen Preview
UMass fell to 1-7 after losing to Penn State in Happy Valley, 63-0. The Minutemen failed to score against PSU, but they made a big check, and they’ll now prepare to suit up for another physical battle. The UMass offense is scoring 26.1 ppg, while passing for 227.6 ypg, rushing for 132.9 ypg, and converting 34.9% of their third downs.
UMass Player Notes
• Taisun Phommachanh naturally struggled in Happy Valley last weekend, only passing for 25 yards, while being sacked seven times. The junior QB faced the steepest test of his career against Penn State, and there’s a slight chance he can find a way to bounce back here.
• Junior back Kay’ron Lynch-Adams scored in four straight games prior to the matchup with PSU, and he leads UMass in rushing yards (692).
• Arizona transfer Anthony Simpson reached the 100-yard mark in three of four games prior to the Penn State game, and he leads the team in receptions (36) and receiving yards (568).
• The UMass defense has allowed 42.3 points per game.
Army Black Knights Preview
Army dropped to 2-5 after being decimated by LSU in Baton Rouge, 62-0. The Black Knights have now failed to score in back-to-back games, and this matchup with UMass couldn’t have come at a better time. The Army offense is scoring 21.0 ppg, while passing for 129.0 ypg, rushing for 189.6 ypg, and converting 33.3% of their third downs.
Army Player Notes
• Champ Harris replaced Bryson Daily at the starter position, and he was in over his head last weekend in Death Valley. The freshman quarterback only passed for 22 yards with two picks, and failed to make anything happen with his legs, so if he gets the call again, they’ll seek better results here against UMass.
• Freshman back Kanye Udoh has reached the 105-yard mark in consecutive weeks, and he now leads the RB room with 288 rushing yards on 53 carries.
• Second-year wideout Noah Short has caught multiple passes in four straight games, and he leads the Cadets in receptions (15), with 223 yards.
• The Army defense is allowing 20.4 points per game.
UMass vs Army Trends
• UMass is 3-5 against the spread, with a 7-1 O/U record.
• Army is 2-4-1 ATS, with a 4-3 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
Wow, both Independent schools were served on a platter for a pair of Power 5 homecomings, and something will have to give this week in West Point. Army hasn’t scored in nearly three weeks, and they should be able to relieve some steam in this contest with an inferior UMass squad. The Minutemen may make some things happen through the air, but look for the Cadets to lean on their physicality advantages in this one. Back Army to get back into the column here at home.