Louisiana-Lafayette at South Alabama Prediction - College Football Picks 10/28/23
South Alabama Jaguars (4-3) vs Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns (4-3)
Game Info: Saturday, October 28, 2023 at 5:00 pm (Hancock Whitney Stadium)
Betting Odds: South Alabama Jaguars -9.5 -- Over/Under: 52 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns will head to Mobile to meet the South Alabama Jaguars in Sun Belt play this weekend from Whitney Stadium on ESPN+. ULL leads the head-to-head series, 8-3, but South Alabama did win last year’s meeting in Lafayette, 20-17.
Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns Preview
Louisiana comes in at 4-3 after losing to Georgia State in Lafayette by three, 20-17. The Ragin’ Cajuns had their rally cut short by the Panthers, and they’ll look to get back into the win column this weekend. The UL-Lafayette offense is scoring 32.9 ppg, while passing for 209.4 ypg, rushing for 215.6 ypg, and converting 43.3% of their third downs.
ULL Player Notes
• Zeon Chriss wasn’t able to push the needle thru the air last week, going 14/28 for 106 yards, with a touchdown toss and a pick. The Baton Rouge native did manage to dash for a season-best 119 yards, so it wasn’t a bad outing, he’ll just have to be sharper with his arm here opposing the South Alabama defense. Chriss has thrown for 906 yards, with eight touchdowns to five interceptions, and he’s rushed for 446 yards and five scores across six games.
• Senior back Jacob Kibodi has scored in four of the last five games, and he leads the team in rushing with 466 yards on 64 carries.
• Sophomore wideout Robert Williams went for a season-high 90 yards in the win over Texas State, and he leads ULL in receptions (22) and receiving yards (289).
• The Louisiana defense has allowed 27.8 points per game.
South Alabama Jaguars Preview
South Alabama moved to 4-3 after defeating Southern Miss at home, 55-3. The Jaguars blitzed the Golden Eagles early and often to get back above .500, and they’ll look to pin a third straight win here. The SALA offense is scoring 35.4 ppg, while passing for 271.9 ypg, rushing for 176.1 ypg, and converting 48.9% of their third downs.
SALA Player Notes
• Carter Bradley went for a season-high 319 yards in the blowout win over Southern Miss. The Jacksonville native has been sharp this season outside of a trip to JMU, and he’ll look to toss multiple scores for the fifth time in six games. Bradley had passed for 1,775 yards, with 11 touchdowns to three interceptions thru seven starts.
• Senior back La’Damian Webb has scored in six straight games, and after hitting the 100-yard mark in consecutive games, he leads SALA in rushing yards (578).
• Junior wideout Caullin Lacy has been one of the most productive receivers in the country this season, and after reaching the 100-yard mark for the sixth game in a row, he leads the Jags in receptions (48) and (826) receiving yards.
• The South Alabama defense is allowing 19.4 points per game.
Louisiana vs South Alabama Trends
• ULL is 2-5 against the spread, with a 4-3 O/U record.
• SALA is 3-4 ATS, with a 5-2 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
As rugged as Louisiana may be, South Alabama may prove to be too much for them offensively here at home. The Jaguars have gone for 55 points in their last two games, while they’ve scored 30 or more in each game except losses to tough defenses in JMU and Tulane. If ULL falls behind early, they will have a hard time playing catch up, and this feels like a nice spot to trust the hosts. Back South Alabama for this Sun Belt bout.