Houston at Kansas State Prediction - College Football Picks 10/28/23
Kansas State Wildcats (5-2) vs Houston Cougars (3-4)
Game Info: Saturday, October 28, 2023 at 12:00 pm (Bill Snyder Family Stadium)
Betting Odds: Kansas State Wildcats -13.5 -- Over/Under: 59.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Houston Cougars will head up to Manhattan to meet the Kansas State Wildcats in Big 12 play this weekend from Bill Snyder Stadium on ESPN2. This will mark the first time these two programs face off.
Houston Cougars Preview
Houston comes in at 3-4 after falling to Texas at home by a touchdown, 31-24. The Cougars nearly secured a signature victory, as they had the Horns on the ropes, and they’ll attempt to bounce back here in Manhattan. The Houston offense is scoring 29.7 ppg, while passing for 276.3 ypg, rushing for 134.2 ypg, and converting 42.3% of their third downs.
Houston Player Notes
• Donovan Smith played big in the matchup with Texas, going 32/46 for 378 yards, with three scores to a pick. The former TTU quarterback has picked things up over the previous four games, but he’ll face a stiff test here on the road with KSU. Smith has thrown for 1.978 yards with 16 touchdowns to four interceptions, and rushed for 185 yards and four more scores on the ground through seven starts.
• Freshman back Parker Jenkins leads the Cougs in rushing with 265 yards and three scores after being games against Sam Houston and Texas Tech.
• Sophomore wideout Samuel Brown has reached the 80-yard mark in five of seven games, and he leads the team in receptions (40) and receiving yards (629).
• The Houston defense has allowed 31.2 points per game.
Kansas State Wildcats Preview
Kansas State improved to 5-2 after defeating TCU at home, 41-3. The Wildcats wasted no time dominating the Horned Frogs on both sides of the ball, and they’ll look to remain undefeated at home this weekend. The KState offense is scoring 36.9 ppg, while passing for 242.0 ypg, rushing for 232.7 ypg, and converting 52.6% of their third downs.
KState Player Notes
• Will Howard played well in the blowout victory over TCU, finishing 206 yards and three touchdown tosses. The veteran quarterback looks like he’s put the loss to Oklahoma State behind him, and he’ll look to lead KState to a third straight victory this weekend. Howard has passed for 1,464 yards, with 12 touchdowns to seven interceptions, and he’s rushed for 289 yards and six scores thru seven games.
• Sophomore back DJ Giddens scored in the win over TCU, and he leads the team in rushing yards (626).
• FSU transfer Treshaun Ward led the way with 89 yards on the ground, and he’s up to 426 yards rushing for the season.
• Senior wideout Phillip Brooks has caught four passes or more in five of seven games this season, and he leads KSU in receptions (34) for 354 receiving yards.
• The KSU defense has allowed 18.1 points per game.
Houston vs KState Trends
• HOU is 4-3 against the spread, with a 4-3 O/U record.
• KSU is 5-2 ATS, with a 4-3 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
It may be hard to ignore Houston’s improvements over the past month when approaching this spot, but Kansas State has really been that good at home this season. The Wildcats are one of the most balanced teams in the country, and they should find little trouble producing against Houston on their home turf. The Cougars may be able to hang around with their passing game, but KState’s physicality may wind up being too much for them here. Back Kansas State for this Big 12 contest.!