Toledo vs Miami-OH Prediction - College Football Picks 10/21/23
Miami-OH RedHawks (6-1) vs Toledo Rockets (6-1)
Game Info: Saturday, October 21, 2023 at 4:00 pm (Fred C. Yager Stadium)
Betting Odds: Miami-OH RedHawks -1 -- Over/Under: 50 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Toledo Rockets will make the three-hour trip down to Oxford to face the Miami (OH) RedHawks in MAC action this weekend from Fred C. Yager Stadium on ESPNU. Toledo and Miami once held a longtime series, but they haven’t faced off since 2011, and the RedHawks hold the head-to-head lead, 28-22-1.
Toledo Rockets Preview
Toledo moved to 6-1 after defeating Ball State in Muncie, 13-6. The Rockets avoided a massive upset with a last-minute touchdown, and they’ll look for better execution here in Oxford. The Toledo offense is scoring 36.9 ppg, while passing for 216.1 ypg, rushing for 243.1 ypg, and converting 51.6% of their third downs.
Toledo Player Notes
• DeQuan Finn wasn’t able to dictate the game with his legs last weekend, and he only passed for 166 yards in the win over BSU. The junior QB has looked much better throughout the first half of the season, and he’ll need to get back to those ways here against Miami. Finn has thrown for 1,265 yards, with 12 touchdowns to four interceptions, and he’s rushed for 438 yards and four scores on the ground.
• Junior back Peny Boone powered another victory with a 148-yard effort against the Cardinals, and he leads the Rockets in rushing with 792 yards on 107 touches and eight touchdowns.
• Sophomore wideout Junior Vandeross III has caught five passes in consecutive games, and he leads Toledo in receptions (26) and receiving yards (377)
• Third-year receiver Jerjuan Newton has scored in five of the first six games, and he’s posting splits of 25/347/9.
• The Toledo defense is allowing 20.5 points per game.
Miami (OH) Redhawks Preview
Miami improved to 6-1 after defeating Western Michigan in Kalamazoo, 34-21. The RedHawks controlled the entire contest to win their sixth straight game, and they’ll attempt to keep rolling here during in-state action. The Miami offense is scoring 31.6 ppg, while passing for 216.1 ypg, rushing for 243.1 ypg, and converting 43.8% of their third downs.
Miami Player Notes
• Brett Gabbert had another solid start in the win over Western Michigan last week, passing for 223 yards with two touchdowns to an interception. The St. Louis native has been dialed in during this stretch of great play for Miami, and he’ll look to keep rolling here against a respectable Toledo defense. Gabbert has passed for 1,455 yards, with 14 touchdowns to four interceptions thru seven starts.
• Sophomore back Rashad Amos has scored in three of the last four games, and he leads the team in rushing with 366 yards on 88 carries.
• Junior wideout Gage Larvadain returned and scored twice in the win over WMU, and he leads Miami in receptions (23) and receiving yards (487).
• The Miami defense has allowed 19.1 points per game.
Toledo vs Miami (OH) Trends
• Toledo is 1-6 against the spread, with a 5-2 O/U record.
• Miami is 6-1 ATS, with a 4-3 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
Miami did a great job by getting into the public eye with their season-opening battle with the Hurricanes, and they’ve been incredibly sharp since that contest. The RedHawks have taken down in-state, Power 5 rival Cincinnati along the way, and I love leaning on them on their turf for this one as home underdogs. The Over will be in play due to the low total, but let’s back Miami’s momentum here, and roll with them as home underdogs for this in-state battle.