South Carolina vs Missouri Prediction - College Football Picks 10/21/23
Missouri Tigers (6-1) vs South Carolina Gamecocks (2-4)
Game Info: Saturday, October 21, 2023 at 3:30 pm (Memorial Stadium at Faurot Field)
Betting Odds: Missouri Tigers -6.5 -- Over/Under: 56.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: SECN Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The South Carolina Gamecocks will swap Columbia’s and face the Missouri Tigers in SEC play this weekend from Memorial Stadium on the SEC Network. Missouri holds the head-to-head series lead, 8-5, after winning the previous four meetings.
South Carolina Gamecocks Preview
South Carolina comes in at 2-4 after losing to Florida at home by two, 41-39. The Gamecocks let the Gators steal the Spurrier Bowl late in the fourth quarter, and they’ll look to avoid a third straight loss this weekend. The SC offense is scoring 29.0 ppg, while passing for 312.3 ypg, rushing for 97.8 ypg, and converting 37.5% of their third downs.
SC Player Notes
• Spencer Rattler did all he could against Florida, going 23/30 for 313 yards, while tossing four touchdowns to one pick. The former OU quarterback bounced back from a rough performance in Knoxville, and he’ll now look to avenge a tough outing versus Mizzou last season this weekend. Rattler has passed for 1,724 yards, with 11 touchdowns to four interceptions thru six games.
• Senior back Mario Anderson reached the 100-yard mark for the third straight game, and he’s now first on the team in rushing (328).
• Veteran wideout Xavier Leggette surpassed the 100-yard mark for the fourth time in six games, and he leads SC in receptions (37) and receiving yards (716).
• The SC defense has allowed 31.3 points per game.
Missouri Tigers Preview
Missouri improved to 6-1 after defeating Kentucky in Lexington, 38-21. The Tigers overpowered the Wildcats down the stretch to get back into the win column, and they’ll look to build on that effort this weekend. The Missouri offense is scoring 29.0 ppg, while passing for 306.7 ypg, rushing for 138.4 ypg, and converting 39.5% of their third downs.
Mizzou Player Notes
• Brady Cook managed last week’s contest well enough on the road to earn the victory, passing for 175 yards with a passing and rushing touchdown. The St. Louis native stretch of 300-yard performances was snapped, but he may be able to get back to those ways here against a vulnerable SC defense. Cook has passed for 2,054 yards with 14 touchdowns to three interceptions thru seven starts.
• Fifth-year senior Cody Schrader scored for the fourth game in a row, and he leads the Tigers in rushing with 648 yards and seven touchdowns.
• Sophomore wideout Luther Burden III caught seven passes or more in the first six games, and he leads the SEC in receptions (56) and receiving yards (808).
• The Missouri defense is allowing 24.8 points per game.
South Carolina vs Missouri Trends
• SC is 2-4 against the spread, with a 4-2 O/U record.
• Mizzou is 4-3 ATS, with a 5-2 over/under record.
• The Tigers’ last five games have gone Over.
Corey’s Free Pick
These two schools have flipped roles in the division this season, as Missouri is a few possessions away from being undefeated, while South Carolina hasn’t been able to overcome a tough schedule early on. Mizzou’s improvements on the offensive side make this a manageable spot for them at home, as SC hasn’t been able to stop anyone this season. Now both teams have found themselves in high-scoring affairs, so while I like Missouri winning this game at home, targeting the magic number may be the way to go here. Take the Over for the Battle of Columbia this weekend.