Michigan vs Michigan State Prediction - College Football Picks 10/21/23
Michigan State Spartans (2-4) vs Michigan Wolverines (7-0)
Game Info: Saturday, October 21, 2023 at 7:30 pm (Spartan Stadium)
Betting Odds: Michigan State Spartans +24.5 -- Over/Under: 45.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: NBC Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Michigan Wolverines will play the Michigan State Spartans in a Big Ten Rivalry Game on Saturday night at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, Michigan. Michigan comes into this game undefeated, with one of the best defenses in the country, while MSU has lost four games in a row.
The Michigan Wolverines are 7-0 (4-0) this season after they defeated Indiana by a score of 52-7 last week. Michigan trailed 7-0 in the first quarter, but they scored 52 points in the final three quarters for the easy win. The Wolverines out gained Indiana by a total of 407-232 and forced four turnovers in the game. Michigan has scored 30+ points in every game this year, but they have allowed 10 points or fewer in every game as well. The Michigan offense is averaging 39.4 points per game with 231.7 passing yards per game and 182 rushing yards per game, while going 55.4% on third downs. J.J. McCarthy has thrown for 1,512 yards, 14 touchdowns, and three interceptions for the Wolverines this season. Blake Corum has rushed for 546 yards and 12 scores, while Roman Wilson has caught 25 passes for 396 yards and nine touchdowns. The Michigan defense is allowing 6.7 points against per game this season.
Michigan State Preview
The Michigan State Spartans are 2-4 (0-3) this year after they lost to Rutgers by a score of 27-24 last week. Michigan State led 24-6 in the fourth quarter, but they completely collapsed in the fourth quarter for the loss. The Spartans were out gained by a total of 295-245 and both teams turned the ball over three times. Michigan State has lost four games in a row to Washington, Maryland, Iowa, and Rutgers. The MSU offense is scoring 22 points per game with 231.7 passing yards per game and 118.7 rushing yards per game, while going 35.9% on third downs. Katin Houser has thrown for 291 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception for the Spartans this season. Nathan Carter has rushed for 529 yards and four scores, while Montorie Foster Jr. has caught 24 passes for 274 yards and one touchdown. The Michigan State defense is giving up 24.3 points against per game this year.
Michigan State Spartans Team Facts
- Michigan State has lost each of its last five games against conference opponents.
- Michigan State has failed to cover the spread in 11 of its last 12 games against top-10 AP-ranked teams.
- Each of Michigan State's last five October games at Spartan Stadium have gone OVER the total points line.
Michigan Wolverines Team Facts
- Michigan has won each of its last 19 games against conference opponents.
- Michigan has covered the spread in seven of its last eight road games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Michigan has won the first half in each of its last five games against conference opponents.
- Each of Michigan's last four road games have gone OVER the total points line.
- Michigan has recorded the equal-most home wins by a margin of 15+ points of any FBS team this season (4).
- Michigan has recorded the equal-most home wins by a margin of 20+ points of any FBS team this season (4).
Michigan comes into this game as one of the best teams in the country, while Michigan State has made a ton of mistakes in the last few weeks. The Michigan defense has been fantastic and I think MSU is going to have a very tough time scoring in this one. With this being a rivalry game, I think Michigan State will put up a fight in the first half, but Michigan will pull away. The Wolverines are too good on both sides of the ball and Michigan State is going to have plenty of penalties and turnovers. Take Michigan to win by four scores here.