Memphis vs UAB Prediction - College Football Picks 10/21/23
UAB Blazers (2-5) vs Memphis Tigers (4-2)
Game Info: Saturday, October 21, 2023 at 12:00 pm (Protective Stadium)
Betting Odds: UAB Blazers +4.5 -- Over/Under: 59.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN2 Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Memphis Tigers will make the trip to Birmingham to meet the UAB Blazers in AAC play this weekend from Protective Stadium on ESPN2. Memphis and UAB will renew their Battle of the Bones series with the latter joining the AAC this Fall. After being former rivals in Conference USA, UAB leads the head-to-head series, 10-5, but Memphis won the most recent meeting back in 2012 by a large margin, 46-9.$
Memphis Tigers Preview
Memphis comes in at 4-2 after falling to Tulane at home by ten, 31-21. The Tigers let the Green Wave steal one in the fourth last Friday, and they’ll attempt to get back on track here in Birmingham. The Memphis offense is scoring 34.0 ppg, while passing for 284.4 ypg, rushing for 142.5ypg, and converting 37.8% of their third downs.
Memphis Player Notes
• Seth Henigan was solid for three quarters in the loss to Tulane passing for 321 yards and three scores, but a pair of costly interceptions would ultimately alter the contest. The junior QB couldn’t get anything going in the fourth versus a stiff Tulane unit, but he may find success here against a vulnerable UAB defense. Henigan has passed for 1,697yards with 13 touchdowns to seven interceptions through six contests.
• ODU transfer Blake Watson had a big game in the win over Boise State, and he leads Memphis in rushing yards (468), with 233 receiving yards and six touchdowns thru six games.
• Junior wideout Roc Taylor surpassed the 100-yard mark for the third game in a row, and he leads the Tigers in receptions (34) and receiving yards (507).
• The Memphis defense has allowed 23.0 points per game.
UAB Blazers Preview
UAB dropped to 2-5 after losing to UTSA at the Alamodome, 41-20. The Blazers weren’t able to overcome a slow start, and they’ll attempt to get back into the win column this weekend. The UAB offense is scoring 30.1 ppg, while passing for 294.0 ypg, rushing for 143.6 ypg, and converting 41.5% of their third downs.
U-Birmingham Player Notes
• Jacob Zeno picked up an injury in the UTSA game, and LT transfer Landry Lyddy stepped in to finish with 51 yards and an interception. The status of Zeno will be big heading into this contest, as the junior quarterback has been very productive this season, and his absence will definitely be felt.
• Senior back Jermaine Brown Jr. has scored in consecutive games, and he now leads UAB in rushing with 327 yards on 70 carries.
• Freshman wideout Amare Thomas caught nine passes in the loss to UTSA, and he leads the Blazers in receptions (35) for 326 receiving yards.
• The UAB defense is allowing 36.5 points per game.
Memphis vs UAB Trends
• Memphis is 3-3 against the spread, with a 3-3 O/U record.
• UAB is 4-3 ATS, with a 5-2 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
If UAB is unable to deploy Jacob Zeno this weekend, they may have a tough time keeping up with Memphis here. The Tigers had Tulane where they wanted them last week, and after coming up short, you can bet they enter this contest motivated. UAB has also been unable to stop anyone defensively this season, and the Tigers should be able to capitalize on that. This feels like a manageable spot for Memphis, so let’s back them on the road for this AAC matchup.