Appalachian State vs ODU Prediction - College Football Picks 10/21/23
Old Dominion Monarchs (3-3) vs Appalachian State Mountaineers (3-3)
Game Info: Saturday, October 21, 2023 at 7:00 pm (Kornblau Field at S.B. Ballard Stadium)
Betting Odds: Old Dominion Monarchs +6.5 -- Over/Under: 54.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Appalachian State Mountaineers will head up to Norfolk to face the Old Dominion Monarchs in Sun Belt play this weekend from Ballard Stadium on the NFL Network.
Appalachian State Mountaineers Preview
Appalachian State fell to 3-3 after losing to Coastal Carolina at home by three, 27-24. The Mountaineers had their rally cut short by the Chanticleers, and they’ll look to avoid a third straight loss here in Norfolk. The App State offense is scoring 34.3 ppg, while passing for 267.2 ypg, rushing for 189.0 ypg, and converting 44.8% of their third downs.
App State Player Notes
• Joey Aguilar almost brought App State back last Tuesday, finishing with 305 yards and a pair of touchdown tosses. The junior quarterback played turnover free for the first time in five games last week, but it wasn’t enough and he’ll look to regroup against ODU. Aguilar has passed for 1,530 yards, with 14 touchdowns to five interceptions thru six starts.
• Junior back Nate Noel picked up an injury early in the CCU game, and there’s a chance he may be unable to go this weekend. The Miami native is a big part of the offense, as he leads the team with 652 rushing yards.
• Third-year wideout Kaedin Robinson had a big game in the win over ULM, and he now leads the team in receptions (25) and receiving yards (327).
• The App State defense is allowing 30.7 points per game.
Old Dominion Monarchs Preview
Old Dominion moved to 3-3 after defeating Southern Miss in Hattiesburg by four, 17-13. The Monarchs used a scrappy effort to get back into the win column, and they’ll look to double down here at home. The ODU offense is scoring 23.5 ppg, while passing for 198.5 ypg, rushing for 151.7 ypg, and converting 37.2% of their third downs.
ODU Player Notes
• Grant Wilson returned to the QB1 role last weekend, and did just enough to get ODU past the finish line with 194 yards passing. The former Fordham quarterback struggled when opened the season as the starter, and if he gets the nod again this weekend, he’ll have to rev things up with App State coming to town.
• Junior back Kadarius Calloway had a big game against Marshall, and he leads the team in rushing with 354 yards on 28 touches.
• Sophomore wideout Kelby Williams leads ODU in receptions (14) and receiving yards (338).
• The ODU defense has allowed 26.1 points per game.
Appalachian State vs Old Dominion Trends
• App State is 2-4 against the spread, with a 4-2 O/U record.
• ODU is 4-2 ATS, with a 3-3 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
Old Dominion has lived up to their 3-3 record by trading their first six games, while delivering different efforts in each contest. For what it’s worth, the Monarchs have competed in each battle, aside from a lopsided loss in Blacksburg to Virginia Tech, and their scrappiness may wind up keeping them within striking distance here. App State comes into Norfolk on a three-game skid, and they may end up not having their best player in Nate Noel. ODU might just be able to pull it off here, so spot them the points at home for this Sun Belt battle.