SMU vs Temple Prediction - College Football Picks 10/20/23
Temple Owls (2-5) vs SMU Mustangs (4-2)
Game Info: Friday, October 20, 2023 at 7:00 pm (Lincoln Financial Field)
Betting Odds: Temple Owls +20.5 -- Over/Under: 54.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN2 Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The SMU Mustangs and Temple Owls face off on Friday in a college football showdown at Lincoln Financial Field.
SMU Looks for Third Straight Win
SMU sits with a 4-2 record overall and they have won two straight games. In the last game against East Carolina the defense gave up only 10 points and they won by 21 points. SMU got out to a 14-0 lead and they never looked back on the way to the victory. Preston Stone had a huge game completing 19 of his 38 passes for 276 yards and three touchdowns. Even though they had a good game, they didn’t find any real success on the ground, and in this game they need a more balanced attack. SMU is averaging 33.3 points while their defense is giving up 17 points per game.
SMU Betting Trends
- SMU has won 16 of its last 17 October games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- The favorite has covered the spread in five of SMU's last six games.
- Seven of SMU's last eight games have gone UNDER the total points line.
Another Down Season for Temple
It’s another down season for Temple, and they come into this game with a 2-5 record overall. In the last game against North Texas, Temple only scored 14 points while the defense gave up 45 points and that led to the blowout defeat. Under center for Temple was Quincy Patterson II, and he completed 12 of his 30 passes for 105 yards, three interceptions, and zero touchdowns. He did have a big game on the ground, rushing for 113 yards and a touchdown. Temple is averaging 21.9 points, while their defense is giving up 35.6 points per game.
Temple Betting Trends
- Temple has lost 17 of its last 18 games against conference opponents.
- Temple has failed to cover the spread in each of its last five games as an underdog.
- Temple has lost the first half in seven of its last eight games against conference opponents at Lincoln Financial Field.
- Six of Temple's last seven home games in October have gone OVER the total points line.
Shane’s Free Pick
This Temple team has issues, and it starts with the defense. The defense is giving up 35.6 points per game, and now they get to try and slowdown an SMU offense that is excellent. In this game, SMU”s offense is going to run up the score, and Temple is going to have no answer. The turnovers are going to continue to be an issue for Temple offense, and this is going to be a blowout victory for SMU. Back SMU against the spread here.