Temple at North Texas Prediction - College Football Picks 10/14/23
North Texas Mean Green (2-3) vs Temple Owls (2-4)
Game Info: Saturday, October 14, 2023 at 12:00 pm (DATCU Stadium)
Betting Odds: North Texas Mean Green -8 -- Over/Under: 70.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPNU Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Temple Owls will make the trip to Denton to face the North Texas Mean Green in AAC play this weekend from DATCU Stadium on ESPNU. This will mark the first time these two programs cross paths.
Temple Owls Preview
Temple fell to 2-4 after losing to UTSA in Philly, 49-34. The Owls failed to keep up with their new conference foes, and they’ll look to avoid a fourth straight loss this weekend. The Temple offense is scoring 23.2 ppg, while passing for 277.2 ypg, rushing for 190.4 ypg, and converting 42.6% of their third downs.
Temple Player Notes
• E.J. Warner had his best game statistically as an Owl last weekend, going 42/65 for 472 yards and five touchdown passes. The sophomore quarterback played catch up for most of the matchup with UTSA, but he produced mightily, even mimicking his father Kurt’s “Greatest Show on Turf” with the ridiculous numbers. Warner has passed for 1,741 yards, with twelve touchdowns to five interceptions thru six starts.
• Freshman RB Joquez Smith hasn’t found much room over the past three games, but he leads the backfield with 244 yards on 51 carries.
• Senior wideout Amad Anderson Jr. tallied 117 yards in the loss to Miami, and he leads the Owls in receptions (25) and receiving yards (372).
• Veteran tight end David Martin-Robinson scored twice versus UTSA last weekend, and he’s posting splits of 23/288/2.
• The Temple defense has allowed 34.0 points per game.
North Texas Mean Green Preview
North Texas dropped to 2-3 after losing to Navy in Annapolis by three, 27-24. The Mean Green had their rally cut short by the Midshipmen, and they’ll look to get back into the win column here against Temple. The UNT offense is scoring 33.8 ppg, while passing for 277.2 ypg, rushing for 190.4 ypg, and converting 36.8% of their third downs.
UNT Player Notes
• Chandler Rogers played well versus Navy despite the final result, going 22/32 for 267 yards, and two total touchdowns. The former ULM transfer has settled in well with North Texas after taking over in Week 3, and he’ll look to get them back into the win column here at home. . Rogers has passed for 845 yards, with seven touchdowns to one interception.
• Junior back Ayo Adeyi reached the 125-yard mark for the third game in a row against Navy, and he leads UNT in rushing with 417 yards.
• Ja’Mori Maclin, cousin of former Mizzou & Eagles star Jeremy, has scored in all five contests, and he leads the team in receiving with 424 yards on 19 catches.
• Veteran wideout Roderic Burns leads UNT in receptions (25) for 254 receiving yards.
• The UNT defense is allowing 39.8 points per game.
Temple vs North Texas Trends
• Temple is 1-5 against the spread, with a 3-3 O/U record.
• UNT is 2-3 ATS, with a 4-1 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
This first-time matchup could create fireworks, as both schools have thrived offensively, but struggled on the defensive end this season, and it also gives us an angle to approach. While the magic number is sitting quite a bit high, this is a game North Texas can win at home. This contest will mark the Mean Green’s first home game as members of AAC, and after coming up just three points short last week in their conference opener versus Navy, I like them handling business here in Denton. Temple’s been blown out three times in a row, and if UNT’s defense can just make a few timely stops, the hosts will be in a good spot. Let’s back North Texas to cover here at home.