Massachusetts at Penn State Prediction - College Football Picks 10/14/23
Penn State Nittany Lions (5-0) vs Massachusetts Minutemen (1-6)
Game Info: Saturday, October 14, 2023 at 3:30 pm (Beaver Stadium)
Betting Odds: Penn State Nittany Lions -43 -- Over/Under: 58.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: BTN Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Penn State Nittany Lions will host the UMass Minutemen for a non-conference matchup this Saturday from Beaver Stadium on the Big Ten Network. PSU won the lone meeting back in 2014 by a large margin, 48-7.
Massachusetts Minutemen Preview
UMass fell to 1-6 after losing to Toledo at home, 41-24. The Minutemen led at the break, but were unable to hold off the Rockets, and they’ll face a steep test here in Happy Valley. The UMass offense is scoring 26.1 ppg, while passing for 257.7 ypg, rushing for 142.7 ypg, and converting 36.4% of their third downs.
UMass Player Notes
• Taisun Phommachanh found more success through the air last week, passing for 272 yards with two touchdowns to one interception. The junior QB played well through the first portion of the contest, but he will likely face the steepest test of his career here against the Penn State defense.
• Junior back Kay’ron Lynch-Adams dashed for a career-high 157 yards and scored for the fourth straight game against Toledo last weekend, and he leads UMass in rushing yards (661).
• Arizona transfer Anthony Simpson reached the 100-yard mark for the third time in four weeks, and he leads the team in receptions (33) and receiving yards (566).
• The UMass defense has allowed 39.7 points per game.
Penn State Nittany Lions Preview
Penn State improved to 5-0 after defeating Northwestern in Evanston, 41-13. The Nittany Lions found separation in the second half to down the Wildcats, and they’ll look to remain unblemished here against the Minutemen. The Penn State offense is scoring 40.6 ppg, while passing for 235.6 ypg, rushing for 194.8 ypg, and converting 44.9% of their third downs.
PSU Player Notes
• Drew Allar delivered winning football on the road against Northwestern, passing for 189 yards with a touchdown toss and rush. The sophomore quarterback has breezed through the first half of the season, and that will likely continue against an inferior UMass defense. Allar has passed for 1,092 yards, with nine touchdowns to no interceptions thru five starts.
• Kaytron Allen and Nicholas Singleton have split the touches well for PSU. Singleton has scored in four of the first five games, and gained 283 yards on the ground, while Allen leads the team in rushing (307) after big games against Delaware and Illinois.
• Norfolk native Keandre Lambert-Smith leads the Nittany Lions in receptions (25) and receiving yards (372).
• The PSU defense is allowing 9.6 points per game.
Massachusetts vs Penn State Trends
• UMass is 3-4 against the spread, with a 6-1 O/U record.
• PSU is 5-0 ATS, with a 4-1 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
UMass has found the tendency to productive when it comes to playing catch up, and while they won’t fair nearly as well here in Happy Valley, it provides an alternative angle to the massive spread. Penn State will be in no danger of an upset loss here, and this one could play out similarly to their home win over Delaware, which resulted with 70 total points on the board. The blowout margin is definitely in play, but let’s roll the dice on Penn State running it up here, and take the Over for this non-conference battle.