Illinois vs Maryland Prediction - College Football Picks 10/14/23
Maryland Terrapins (5-1) vs Illinois Fighting Illini (2-4)
Game Info: Saturday, October 14, 2023 at 3:30 pm (SECU Stadium)
Betting Odds: Maryland Terrapins -14 -- Over/Under: 51 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: NBC Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Illinois Fighting Illini and Maryland Terrapins face off on Saturday in a college football showdown at Byrd Stadium.
Illinois Has Been Disappointing
There were high expectations coming into this season for Illinois but they have been nothing but a major disappointment. In the last game against Nebraska at home they managed only seven runs and that led to the defeat. Luke Altmyer completed 29 of his 47 passes for 289 yards, one touchdown, and one interception. On the season Illinois is averaging 19.2 points while their defense is giving up 28.8 points per game. The offense is ranked 121st in baseball and they need to find a way to get the offense going here.
Illinois Betting Preview
- Illinois has won three of its last four October games as an underdog.
- Illinois has failed to cover the spread in seven of its last eight games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Illinois has lost the first half in each of its last three games against conference opponents.
- Nine of Illinois' last 11 games as an underdog against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
Maryland Looks for Bounce Back
Maryland is looking for a bounce back game after they were defeated in the last game against Ohio State. At the end of the first quarter, they were up 7-0, but they only scored 10 more total points and that led to the defeat. Quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa threw two interceptions and he can’t be turning the ball over again here. Maryland on the season is averaging 35 points while their defense is giving up 17.2 points per game. The offense is ranked 28th but the defense for most of the season has been overlooked.
Maryland Betting Preview
- Maryland has won 13 of its last 14 games against non-AP-ranked teams at SECU Stadium.
- The favorite has covered the spread in each of Maryland's last four games.
- Maryland has won the first half in each of its last three home games against conference opponents.
- Seven of Maryland's last eight October games at SECU Stadium have gone OVER the total points line.
Shane’s Free Pick
Illinois offense has been an issue all season and it’s going to be no different in this game. Maryland’s defense is going to get back on the right track here, and that will be the difference. Illinois is going to struggle again to find the end zone. Maryland’s offense is going to find success early, and that is going to be the difference here as the Terrapins are going to get the job done. Back Maryland against the spread.