BYU at TCU Prediction - College Football Picks 10/14/23
TCU Horned Frogs (3-3) vs BYU Cougars (4-1)
Game Info: Saturday, October 14, 2023 at 3:30 pm (Amon G. Carter Stadium)
Betting Odds: TCU Horned Frogs -5 -- Over/Under: 53.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The BYU Cougars will travel to Fort Worth to take on the TCU Horned Frogs in Big 12 play this Saturday from Amon G. Carter Stadium. BYU’s addition to the conference will revive a rivalry with TCU that spanned over their times in the WAC and Mountain West. TCU leads the head-to-head series, 6-5, after winning the most recent meeting in 2011 at Cowboy Stadium by ten, 38-28.
Brigham Young Cougars Preview
BYU improved to 4-1 after defeating Cincinnati in Provo by eight, 35-27. The Cougars led at the break, then cruised to pick up their first-ever Big 12 victory, and they’ll now look to double down here against TCU. The BYU offense is scoring 31.0 ppg, while passing for 255.8 ypg, rushing for 62.8 ypg, and converting 33.8% of their third downs.
BYU Player Notes
• Kedon Slovis managed last week’s contest well versus Cincy, tossing for 223 yards and a pair of scores. The former Pitt and USC QB is settling in as a Cougar, but he will have to ref things up if Kansas offense continues their hot start offensively. Slovis has passed for 660 yards, with six touchdowns to one interception, and three scores on the ground through three games.
• Freshman back LJ Martin scored twice in the win over Cincinnati, and he leads BYU in rushing yards (289).
• Sophomore wideout Chase Roberts went for a season-high 131 yards against the Bearcats, and he leads BYU in receptions (24) and (358) receiving yards.
• The BYU defense is allowing 22.4 points per game.
Texas Christian Horned Frogs Preview
TCU fell to 3-3 after losing to Iowa State in Ames, 27-14. The Horned Frogs struggled again offensively against the Cyclones, and they’ll look to avoid a third straight loss this weekend. The TCU offense is scoring 31.3 ppg, while passing for 280.3 ypg, rushing for 192.2 ypg, and converting 43.8% of their third downs.
TCU Player Notes
• Josh Hoover’s first start for TCU didn’t go very well in Ames, as he only went for 119 yards with a touchdown and a pick. Sonny Dykes may have less of a leash on him this week at home, but the Horned Frogs will likely lean on their ground game once again.
• Junior RB Emani Bailey has been a star out of the backfield, surpassing the 140-yard mark in four of the first six games, and he leads TCU in rushing with 690 yards.
• OK State transfer JP Richardson leads the team in receptions (21) and receiving yards (295).
• The TCU defense has allowed 22.0 points per game.
BYU vs TCU Trends
• Brigham Young is 3-2 against the spread, with a 4-1 O/U record.
• Texas Christian is 2-4 ATS, with a 1-5 over/under record.
• BYU has covered the spread in eight of its last nine matches as an underdog when playing with a rest advantage.
• TCU has failed to cover the spread in each of its last five October home games against non-AP-ranked teams.
Corey’s Free Pick
TCU’s quarterback position has seen better days, as there’s no Andy Dalton or Max Duggan in place behind center, and they’ve struggled to move the ball through the air. The uncertainty at the QB spot will leave the door open for BYU to come into Fort Worth and steal a victory. The Cougars have played well in every contest this season, even picking up a win in Fayetteville over Arkansas last month, and they’re going to have a fighting chance Saturday. The Under will be in play due to the pending conservative play calling, but spot BYU the points for this battle of reunited conference rivals.