Coastal Carolina vs Appalachian State Prediction - College Football Picks 10/10/23
Appalachian State Mountaineers (3-2) vs Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (2-3)
Game Info: Tuesday, October 10, 2023 at 7:30 pm (Kidd Brewer Stadium)
Betting Odds: Appalachian State Mountaineers -5.5 -- Over/Under: 63 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN2 Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Coastal Carolina Chanticleers will play the Appalachian State Mountaineers in a Sun Belt game on Tuesday night at Kidd Brewer Stadium in Boone, North Carolina. Appalachian State has alternated wins and losses to start the season, while Coastal Carolina has lost two games in a row.
Coastal Carolina Preview
The Coastal Carolina Chanticleers are 2-3 (0-2) this season after they lost to Georgia Southern by a score of 38-28 in their last game. Coastal Carolina led 14-7 in the second quarter and the game was tied at 21 in the third, but Georgia Southern scored 17 straight points to end the third to pull away for the win. The Chanticleers out gained Georgia Southern by a total of 465-438, but they turned the ball over four times in the loss. Coastal Carolina lost to Georgia State by a score of 30-17 in the game before playing Georgia Southern. The Coastal Carolina offense is averaging 30.8 points per game with 285 passing yards per game and 140.2 rushing yards per game. Grayson McCall has thrown for 1,302 yards, six touchdowns, and six interceptions for the Chanticleers this season. Braydon Bennett has rushed for 245 yards and three scores, while Sam Pinckney has caught 28 passes for 443 yards and three touchdowns. The Coastal Carolina defense is allowing 23.6 points against per game and they have allowed 68 points in their last two games.
Appalachian State Preview
The Appalachian State Mountaineers are 3-2 (1-0) this season after they defeated UL-Monroe by a score of 41-40 in their last game. Appalachian State trailed 14-0 in the first quarter and 40-35 in the third quarter, but they won the fourth quarter by a total of 6-0 for the one-point win. The Mountaineers out gained UL-Monroe by a total of 536-471, but they did turn the ball over four times in the loss. Appalachian State lost to Wyoming and North Carolina in previous weeks, but they did defeat East Carolina at home. The Appalachian State offense is scoring 42.4 points per game with 259.6 passing yards per game and 204.6 rushing yards per game. Joey Aguilar has thrown for 1,225 yards, 12 touchdowns, and five interceptions, while rushing for 132 yards and one touchdown this season. Nate Noel has rushed for 651 yards and four scores, while Kaedin Robinson has caught 23 passes for 317 yards and three touchdowns. The Appalachian State defense is giving up 30.8 points against per game this season.
Appalachian State Mountaineers Team Facts
- Appalachian State has won 15 of its last 16 October games at Kidd Brewer Stadium.
- Appalachian State has failed to cover the spread in eight of its last nine games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Appalachian State has won the first half in 30 of its last 37 games against conference opponents at Kidd Brewer Stadium.
- Each of Appalachian State's last four games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
Coastal Carolina Chanticleers Team Facts
- Coastal Carolina has won each of its last three October games as an underdog.
- Coastal Carolina has covered the spread in each of its last five October games as an underdog against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Coastal Carolina has lost the first half in each of its last three road games against conference opponents.
- Each of Coastal Carolina's last five October road games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Appalachian State ranked 17th among FBS teams for Q2 points per game last season (11.3).
- Appalachian State ranked 19th among FBS teams for H2 points per game last season (17.3).
- Coastal Carolina ranked T16th among FBS teams for Q4 points per game last season (9.2).
- Coastal Carolina was one of only 26 FBS teams to win 2+ games when trailing after Q3 last season.
Coastal Carolina comes into this game looking for their first conference win and they have struggled more than I thought they would this year, while Appalachian State is trying to break out of their win/loss/win/loss trend. The Chanticleers thought they were going to have one of the best Group of Five quarterbacks this season, but Grayson McCall has struggled. McCall needs to protect the football better and he should have a big day against an App State defense that has struggled. On the other side, Appalachian State has scored a ton of points this year and will face a Coastal Carolina defense that has allowed a lot of points in their last two games. I think we are going to see a very high scoring game in this matchup and I am taking the over here.