Wake Forest vs Clemson Prediction - College Football Picks 10/7/23
Clemson Tigers (3-2) vs Wake Forest Demon Deacons (3-1)
Game Info: Saturday, October 7, 2023 at 3:30 pm (Memorial Stadium)
Betting Odds: Clemson Tigers -21 -- Over/Under: 52.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ACC Network Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Wake Forest Demon Deacons will play the Clemson Tigers in an ACC game on Saturday afternoon at Memorial Stadium in Clemson, South Carolina. Wake Forest suffered their first defeat in their last game, while Clemson bounced back with a win over Syracuse last week.
Wake Forest Preview
The Wake Forest Demon Deacons are 3-1 (0-1) this season after they lost to Georgia Tech by a score of 30-16 in their last game. Wake Forest took the lead 3-0 in the first quarter, but allowed Georgia Tech to score the next 20 points and pull away for the win. The Demon Deacons out gained Georgia Tech by a total of 386-380 and turned the ball over five times in the loss. Wake Forest had won their previous three games against Elon, Vanderbilt, and Old Dominion. The Wake Forest offense is scoring 29 points per game with 249.8 passing yards per game and 176.8 rushing yards per game, while going 47.5% on third downs this year. Mitch Griffis has thrown for 999 yards, nine touchdowns, and six interceptions for the Demon Deacons this season. Demond Claiborne has rushed for 311 yards and two touchdowns, while Jahmal Banks has caught 24 passes for 276 yards and three scores. The Wake Forest defense is giving up 22.8 points against per game this year.
The Clemson Tigers are 3-2 (1-2) this season after they defeated Syracuse by a score of 31-14 last week. Clemson led 21-7 at the half and they were able to coast to the win in the second half. The Tigers out gained Syracuse by a total of 389-281 and forced three turnovers in the win. Clemson also has wins against Charleston Southern and FAU, but has losses to Duke and Florida State. The Clemson offense is averaging 40 points per game with 272.8 passing yards per game and 184.4 rushing yards per game, while going 47.8% on third down attempts this year. Cade Klubnik has thrown for 1,239 yards, 11 touchdowns, and two interceptions for the Tigers this season. Will Shipley has rushed for 353 yards and two touchdowns, while Tyler Brown has caught 21 passes for 316 yards and two scores. The Clemson defense is allowing 20.8 points against per game this season.
Clemson Tigers Team Facts
- Clemson has won each of its last 21 October games at Memorial Stadium (Clemson).
- Clemson has failed to cover the spread in each of its last five October games as a home favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Clemson has won the first half in each of its last six games against conference opponents.
- Clemson has won the first quarter in 20 of its last 25 games against conference opponents at Memorial Stadium (Clemson).
- Each of Clemson's last four games against non-AP-ranked teams at Memorial Stadium (Clemson) have gone OVER the total points line.
Wake Forest Demon Deacons Team Facts
- Wake Forest has won 10 of its last 11 October games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Wake Forest has failed to cover the spread in five of its last six games against conference opponents.
- Four of Wake Forest's last five October road games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
- Clemson ranked T22nd among FBS teams for H1 points allowed per game last season (9.9).
- Clemson ranked T23rd among FBS teams for H2 win percentage last season (.643).
- Wake Forest ranked T12th among FBS teams for Q3 win percentage last season (.615).
- Wake Forest ranked 13th among FBS teams for Q2 points per game last season (11.7).
Clemson was finally able to get their first ACC win last week against Syracuse, and they will look to make it two in a row here. Wake Forest is coming off of a disappointing result against Georgia Tech and will face a very good Clemson defense in this matchup. I am interested to see how Wake Forest is able to move the ball in this game, but I think they are going to run into some trouble. I like Clemson to pull away in the second half and cover here.