UCONN at Rice Prediction - College Football Picks 10/7/23
Rice Owls (3-2) vs UCONN Huskies (0-5)
Game Info: Saturday, October 7, 2023 at 5:00 pm (Rice Stadium)
Betting Odds: Rice Owls -10 -- Over/Under: 51 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Connecticut Huskies will head down to Houston to meet the Rice Owls in non-conference play this weekend from Rice Stadium on ESPNU. This will mark the first time these two programs face off.
Connecticut Huskies Preview
UConn comes in at 0-5 after falling to Utah State in Storrs, 34-33. The Huskies were a blocked extra point away from completing the comeback, and they’ll attempt to get in the win column for the first time this weekend. The Connecticut offense is scoring 17.0 ppg, while passing for 185.6 ypg, rushing for 138.0 ypg, and converting 39.5% of their third downs.
UConn Player Notes
• Ta’quan Roberson managed to find success through the air last weekend, going for a season-high 255 yards with two touchdown to an interception. The junior quarterback looks capable of taking in more than a game-managing role, and hopefully UConn opens the playbook up a bit more down the stretch. Roberson has passed for 755 yards, with five touchdowns to two interceptions.
• Sophomore back Victor Rosa totaled 120 yards (92 rush, 28 rec) in the loss to USU, and he leads UConn in rushing with 310 yards on 57 carries.
• Delaware transfer Brett Buckman has caught four passes in three of the last four games, and he leads the team in receptions (22) and receiving yards (261).
• The Connecticut defense has allowed 31.6 points per game.
Rice Owls Preview
Rice moved to 3-2 after defeating East Carolina by a touchdown at home, 24-17. The Owls held the Pirates off in the fourth to get back into the win column, and they’ll look to remain undefeated at home this weekend. The Rice offense is scoring 33.0 ppg, while passing for 307.0 ypg, rushing for 73.0 ypg, and converting 42.6% of their third downs.
Rice Player Notes
• JT Daniels had another solid performance versus ECU, passing for 242 yards with two touchdowns to an interception.!The longtime college QB has turned the tide in Houston for Rice, and he’ll look to keep rolling here against UConn. Daniels has passed 1,469 yards, with 13 touchdowns to four interceptions thru five games.
• The Owls rarely run the football, but junior back Dean Connors leads the team with 138 yards in 34 carries.
• Third-year wideout Luke McCaffrey went off for 199 yards in the win over USF, and he leads the team in receptions (23) and receiving yards (414).
• The Rice defense is allowing 28.8 points per game.
Connecticut vs Rice Trends
• UConn is 3-2 against the spread, with a 1-4 O/U record.
• Rice is 4-1 ATS, with a 3-2 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
J.T. Daniels has truly changed life for the Rice football program, and while it will be short lived, it’s pretty nice to see. The Owls should and will more than likely have a light test here with the traveling Huskies. UConn came very close last week to their first victory, but they just haven’t been able to figure things out this season, and it’s unlikely they will do so here. Let’s back Rice at home for this non-conference clash.