Texas State vs Louisiana Prediction - College Football Picks 10/7/23
Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns (3-2) vs Texas State Bobcats (4-1)
Game Info: Saturday, October 7, 2023 at 3:30 pm (Cajun Field)
Betting Odds: Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns -2.5 -- Over/Under: 68 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPNU Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Texas State Bobcats will play the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns in a Sun Belt game on Saturday afternoon at Cajun Field in Lafayette, Louisiana. Texas State has won three games in a row, while Louisiana is coming off of a loss at Minnesota.
Texas State Preview
The Texas State Bobcats are 4-1 (1-0) this season after they defeated Southern Miss by a score of 50-36 last week. Texas State jumped out to a 21-0 lead in the first quarter and led 42-10 at the half, before taking their foot off of the gas pedal in the second half. The Bobcats out gained Southern Miss by a total of 516-510 and turned the ball over three times in the win. Texas State also has wins over Baylor, Jackson State, and Nevada, but did lose to UTSA in Week 2. The Texas State offense is averaging 43.4 points per game with 286 passing yards per game and 205.4 rushing yards per game, while going 41.5% on third downs this season. TJ Finley has thrown for 1,393 yards, 10 touchdowns, and one interception for the Bobcats this year. Ismail Mahdi has rushed for 488 yards and seven scores, while Joey Hobert has caught 30 passes for 370 yards and three touchdowns. The Texas State defense is allowing 29 points against per game this year.
The Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns are 3-2 (0-1) this season after they lost to Minnesota by a score of 35-24 in their last game. Louisiana led this game 17-14 at the half, but Minnesota scored the first 21 points of the second half to pull away. The Ragin’ Cajuns out gained Minnesota by a total of 349-347, but turned the ball over twice in the loss. Louisiana has wins against Northwestern State, UAB, and Buffalo, but did lose to Old Dominion in Week 2. The Louisiana offense is scoring 35.8 points per game with 227.4 passing yards per game and 225.2 rushing yards per game, while going 40.3% on third down conversions. Zeon Chriss has thrown for 595 yards, four touchdowns, and four interceptions, while also rushing for 260 yards and four touchdowns for the Ragin’ Cajuns this season. Jacob Kibodi has rushed for 376 yards and four scores, while Jacob Bernard has caught 14 passes for 188 yards. The Louisiana defense is giving up 29 points against per game and has allowed 35+ points in two straight games.
Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Team Facts
- Louisiana has won 17 of its last 18 games as a home favorite.
- Louisiana has covered the spread in each of its last four October home games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Louisiana has won the first half in five of its last six games against conference opponents at Cajun Field.
- Louisiana has won the first quarter in five of its last six home games against conference opponents.
- Sixteen of Louisiana's last 17 games against conference opponents at Cajun Field have gone UNDER the total points line.
Texas State Bobcats Team Facts
- Texas State has lost each of its last eight October road games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Texas State has failed to cover the spread in seven of its last eight October games as a road underdog.
- Texas State has lost the first half in three of its last four games against conference opponents.
- Nine of Texas State's last 10 October games as a road underdog against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Louisiana was one of only six FBS teams to lose 4+ games when leading after Q1 last season.
- Louisiana was one of only eight FBS teams to lose 3+ games when leading after Q3 last season.
Texas State has been very impressive so far this season and they certainly made a statement with their opening win at Baylor. Louisiana almost pulled off the upset against Minnesota last week and they are dealing with some key injuries. Both teams are averaging over 450 yards per game, but Texas State is also allowing over 430 yards against. I think we could be in for a very high scoring game here, but I am going to take Texas State to get the road win. The Bobcats offense has been great and I really like what I am seeing from TJ Finley.