Syracuse vs North Carolina Prediction - College Football Picks 10/7/23
North Carolina Tar Heels (4-0) vs Syracuse Orange (4-1)
Game Info: Saturday, October 7, 2023 at 3:30 pm (Kenan Memorial Stadium)
Betting Odds: North Carolina Tar Heels -9.5 -- Over/Under: 60 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Syracuse Orange will play the North Carolina Tar Heels in an ACC game on Saturday afternoon at Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Syracuse picked up their first loss of the season last week, while North Carolina has won all four games to start the year.
The Syracuse Orange are 4-1 (0-1) this season after they lost to Clemson by a score of 31-14 last week. Syracuse trailed 21-7 at the half and was never able to get it back within one score. The Orange were out gained by a total of 389-286 and turned the ball over three times in the loss. Syracuse had opened the season with four straight wins against Colgate, Western Michigan, Purdue, and Army. The Syracuse offense is scoring 38 points per game with 272.8 passing yards per game and 190.6 rushing yards per game, while going 51.4% on third downs. Garrett Shrader has thrown for 1,153 yards, eight touchdowns, and four interceptions, while rushing for 340 yards and six touchdowns for the Orange this season. LeQuint Allen has rushed for 363 yards and six scores, while Damien Alford has caught 18 passes for 282 yards and one touchdown. The Syracuse defense is giving up 14.8 points against per game this season.
North Carolina Preview
The North Carolina Tar Heels are 4-0 (1-0) this season after they defeated Pittsburgh by a score of 41-24 in their last game. North Carolina led this game 28-17 at halftime and extended the lead to 38-17 in the third quarter. The Tar Heels out gained Pittsburgh by a total of 373-307 and forced three turnovers in the win. North Carolina has also defeated South Carolina, Appalachian State, and Minnesota this year. The North Carolina offense is scoring 35.8 points per game with 296.8 passing yards per game and 167.3 rushing yards per game, while going 57.9% on third downs. Drake Maye has thrown for 1,187 yards, five touchdowns, and four interceptions for the Tar Heels this season. Omarion Hampton has rushed for 383 yards and seven scores, while J.J. Jones has caught 16 passes for 296 yards. The UNC defense is allowing 22 points against per game, but did allow 34 points to App State and 24 points to Pittsburgh.
North Carolina Tar Heels Team Facts
- North Carolina has won seven of its last eight October games at Kenan Memorial Stadium.
- North Carolina has covered the spread in seven of its last eight matches at Kenan Memorial Stadium when playing with a rest advantage.
- Three of North Carolina's last four October games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
Syracuse Orange Team Facts
- Syracuse has lost each of its last 10 games as an underdog against AP-ranked teams.
- Syracuse has covered the spread in each of its last seven October games as an underdog against AP-ranked teams.
- Syracuse has lost the first half in each of its last five games against conference opponents.
- Each of Syracuse's last four games have gone UNDER the total points line.
- North Carolina was one of only 20 FBS teams to win 3+ games when trailing at HT last season.
- North Carolina ranked 20th among FBS teams for Q2 points per game last season (11.1).
- Syracuse ranked T30th among FBS teams for H1 points allowed per game last season (10.7).
- Syracuse ranked T30th among FBS teams for Q1 win percentage last season (.538).
Syracuse had a chance for a huge win at home against Clemson last week, but they couldn’t get the offense going consistently. Now the Orange will go on the road looking for a Top-25 win. Syracuse has played very good defense this season, but they will be tested against a high-powered UNC offense. I think this is a much better matchup for Syracuse than Clemson was, as the Orange should be able to move the ball on a North Carolina defense that has had some struggles. I like Syracuse with the points in this one.