San Jose State vs Boise State Prediction - College Football Picks 10/7/23
Boise State Broncos (2-3) vs San Jose State Spartans (1-4)
Game Info: Saturday, October 7, 2023 at 8:00 pm (Albertsons Stadium)
Betting Odds: Boise State Broncos -10 -- Over/Under: 57.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: CBSSports Network Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The San Jose State Spartans will play the Boise State Broncos in a Mountain West game on Saturday night at Albertsons Stadium in Boise, Idaho. San Jose State has yet to defeat a FBS team, while Boise State has struggled in non-conference play.
San Jose State Preview
The San Jose State Spartans are 1-4 (0-1) this season after they lost to Air Force by a score of 45-20 in their last game. San Jose State led this game 20-10 late in the second quarter, but allowed Air Force to score 35 unanswered points for the loss. The Spartans were out gained by a total of 428-354 and allowed 400 rushing yards in the loss. San Jose State has lost to USC, Oregon State, Toledo, and Air Force this season. The San Jose State offense is averaging 28.2 points per game with 220.4 passing yards per game and 135.2 rushing yards per game, while going 40.3% on third down attempts this year. Chevan Cordeiro has thrown for 1,022 yards, six touchdowns, and two interceptions for the Spartans this year. Kairee Robinson has rushed for 284 yards and six scores, while Nick Nash has caught 25 passes for 234 yards and three touchdowns. The San Jose State defense is allowing 33.4 points against per game this season, but has played some very good teams.
Boise State Preview
The Boise State Broncos are 2-3 (1-0) this season after they lost to Memphis by a score of 35-32 last week. Boise State led this game 17-0 in the second quarter, but Memphis scored the next 28 points to take control of the game. The Broncos out gained Memphis by a total of 519-448, but only went 3-10 on third downs in the loss. Boise State lost to Washington and UCF to open the season, but did beat North Dakota and San Diego State in their next two games. The Boise State offense is scoring 28.6 points per game with 254.8 passing yards per game and 165.6 rushing yards per game, while going 44.1% on third down attempts this year. Taylen Green has thrown for 938 yards, four touchdowns, and four interceptions, while also rushing for 179 yards and two touchdowns for the Broncos. Ashton Jeanty has rushed for 489 yards and eight scores, while Eric McAlister has caught 25 passes for 426 yards and three touchdowns. The Boise State defense is giving up 31.6 points against per game this year.
Boise State Broncos Team Facts
- Boise State has won each of its last four games in October.
- Boise State has covered the spread in each of its last four games in October.
- Boise State has won the first half in 10 of its last 13 games against conference opponents at Albertsons Stadium.
- Six of Boise State's last seven October games as a home favorite against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
San Jose State Spartans Team Facts
- San Jose State has lost each of its last eight games as a road underdog.
- San Jose State has covered the spread in each of its last five matches as an underdog when playing with a rest advantage.
- Five of San Jose State's last six October games as a road underdog against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
- Boise State ranked T15th among FBS teams for H2 points per game last season (17.6).
- Boise State ranked 17th among FBS teams for H2 points allowed per game last season (9.6).
- San Jose State was one of only 11 FBS teams to remain undefeated in home games last season (6-0) (min. 8 games).
- San Jose State ranked 17th among FBS teams for Q2 win percentage last season (.667).
San Jose State comes into this game with a 1-4 record, but they have played decently well in their last two games. The Spartans lost by four points to Toledo on the road and then had a 10-point lead on Air Force, but fell apart in the second half. Boise State has a losing record, but has played a difficult schedule, just like SJSU has. San Jose State should find some success on offense in this game, as the Boise State defense is allowing over 430 yards per game. I like San Jose State with the points in this matchup.