Rutgers at Wisconsin Prediction - College Football Picks 10/7/23
Wisconsin Badgers (3-1) vs Rutgers Scarlet Knights (4-1)
Game Info: Saturday, October 7, 2023 at 12:00 pm (Camp Randall Stadium)
Betting Odds: Wisconsin Badgers -13.5 -- Over/Under: 44.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: PEAC Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Rutgers Scarlet Knights will make the trip to Madison to face the Wisconsin Badgers in Big Ten play this weekend from Camp Randall Stadium on Peacock. Wisconsin has won all four meetings, with the most recent coming in 2021 by a massive margin, 52-3.
Rutgers Scarlet Knights Preview
Rutgers comes in at 4-1 after defeating Wagner at home, 52-3. The Scarlet Knights got back into the win column with a thumping victory over the Seahawks, and they’ll look to avoid taking a second straight loss in conference play. The Rutgers offense is scoring 30.8 ppg, while passing for 151.2 ypg, rushing for 195.4 ypg, and converting 43.9% of their third downs.
Rutgers Player Notes
• Gavin Wimsatt bounced back with 146 yards and three total touchdowns in the win over Wagner. The junior quarterback hasn’t been asked to do much more than game manage, but he may have to raise his play here on the road versus the Badgers. Wimsatt has passed for 733 yards, with five touchdowns to one interception.
• Kyle Monangai surpassed last season’s total with a 87-yard effort last weekend, and he leads the team in rushing with 471 yards and six touchdowns.
• Senior wideout Christian Drexel has scored in each of the last three games, and he leads Rutgers in receptions (14) for 195 receiving yards.
• The Rutgers defense allows 12.8 points per game.
Wisconsin Badgers Preview
Wisconsin improved to 3-1 after defeating Purdue in Madison, 38-17. The Badgers outmuscled the Boilermakers early and often last weekend, and they’ll look to begin Big Ten play with a 2-0 start this weekend. The Wisconsin offense is scoring 33.3 ppg, while passing for 226.5 ypg, rushing for 201.5 ypg, and converting 45.5% of their third downs.
Wisconsin Player Notes
• Tanner Mordecai did well on the road versus Purdue last week, passing for 174 yards and scoring twice on the ground. The former SMU QB appears to have upgraded the signal caller spot early on, but this Rutgers unit will represent the best group he’s faced yet. Mordecai has thrown for 877 yards, with two touchdowns to three interceptions.
• Chez Mellusi went down in the win over Purdue, so Braelon Allen will now receive the majority of the workload. The junior back reached the 120-yard mark for the second time last weekend, and he leads the Badgers in rushing with 371 yards and six touchdowns.
• Senior wideout Chimere Dike leads the team in receiving again this season 228 yards.
• The Wisconsin defense has allowed 19.7 points per game.
Rutgers vs Wisconsin Trends
• Rutgers is 4-1 against the spread, with a 2-3 O/U record.
• Wisconsin is 2-2 ATS, with a 2-2 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
This battle of reds features two of the top defenses in the country, and since we should be in for a physical battle, this falls right into Wisconsin’s favor. The Badgers played very well away from home last weekend, and while Rutgers noticeably struggled in their lone road trip to the Big House. The Scarlet Knights might experience the same troubles, as they may struggle to move the ball against a stiff Wisconsin unit. The Under will be in play, but let's back the Badgers here at home for this Big Ten matchup.