Oregon State vs Cal Prediction - College Football Picks 10/7/23
California Golden Bears (3-2) vs Oregon State Beavers (4-1)
Game Info: Saturday, October 7, 2023 at 10:00 pm (FTX Field at California Memorial Stadium)
Betting Odds: California Golden Bears +9.5 -- Over/Under: 51.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: PAC-12 Network Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Oregon State Beavers will play the California Golden Bears in a PAC-12 game on Saturday night at California Memorial Stadium in Berkeley, California. Oregon State is coming off of a great defensive game last week, while California has alternated wins and losses in their first four games.
Oregon State Preview
The Oregon State Beavers are 4-1 (1-1) this season after they defeated Utah by a score of 21-7 last week. Oregon State didn’t score a ton of points, but it was a dominating win. The Beavers out gained Utah by a total of 358-198 and forced one turnover + three turnovers on downs. Oregon State defeated San Jose State, UC Davis, and San Diego State in their first three games, but did lose to Washington State two weeks ago. The Oregon State offense is averaging 35.8 points per game with 233.2 passing yards per game and 206 rushing yards per game, while going 41.4% on third downs this season. DJ Uiagalelei has thrown for 1,032 yards, eight touchdowns, and four interceptions for the Beavers this season. Damien Martinez has rushed for 497 yards and two touchdowns, while Silas Bolden has caught 24 passes for 335 yards and two scores. The Oregon State defense is allowing 15.6 points against per game this year, but did allow 38 points in their loss to Washington State.
The California Golden Bears are 3-2 (1-1) this season after they defeated Arizona State by a score of 24-21 in their last game. California led 10-7 at the half and was able to hold the lead for the entire second half. The Golden Bears were out gained by a total of 430-326, but did force two turnovers in the win. Cal has wins against Arizona State, Idaho, and North Texas, but has lost to Auburn and Washington. The California offense is scoring 31 points per game with 217.8 passing yards per game and 212.2 rushing yards per game, while going 41.2% on third down attempts. Sam Jackson V has thrown for 556 yards, five touchdowns, and two interceptions for the Golden Bears this year. Jaydn Ott has rushed for 471 yards and five scores, while Jeremiah Hunter has caught 27 passes for 321 yards and four touchdowns. The Cal defense is giving up 26.4 points against per game this year.
California Golden Bears Team Facts
- The favorite has won each of California's last 11 games at California Memorial Stadium.
- The underdog has covered the spread in each of California's last four games at California Memorial Stadium.
- Eight of California's last nine October games as an underdog against AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
Oregon State Beavers Team Facts
- Oregon State has won 12 of its last 13 games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Oregon State has covered the spread in seven of its last eight games against conference opponents.
- Oregon State has won the first half in six of its last eight games against conference opponents.
- Eight of Oregon State's last 10 road games have gone OVER the total points line.
- Oregon State ranked 8th among FBS teams for H1 points allowed per game last season (8.4).
- Oregon State ranked T8th among FBS teams for Q4 win percentage last season (.692).
Oregon State has been very impressive on the defensive side of the ball in most of their games, but they will be on the road for this game, where they have allowed the majority of their points. The Golden Bears lost a close game to Auburn in Week 2 and were blown out by Washington two weeks ago, but they bounced back with a nice win last week. While Cal has started the season with a decent record, I am not sure how good they really are. On the other hand, Oregon State is one of the better teams in the PAC-12 and Cal doesn’t have the passing attack that Washington State had. Take the Beavers here.