NIU vs Akron Prediction - College Football Picks 10/7/23
Akron Zips (1-4) vs NIU Huskies (1-4)
Game Info: Saturday, October 7, 2023 at 3:30 pm (Summa Field at InfoCision Stadium)
Betting Odds: Akron Zips +5 -- Over/Under: 42.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN+ Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Northern Illinois Huskies will play the Akron Zips in a MAC game on Saturday afternoon at InfoCision Stadium in Akron, Ohio. Northern Illinois comes into this game after losing four games in a row, while Akron has lost three games in a row.
Northern Illinois Preview
The Northern Illinois Huskies are 1-4 (0-1) this season after they lost to Toledo by a score of 35-33 in their last game. NIU trailed 35-20 in the fourth quarter, but was able to score two times late in the fourth to make it close. The Huskies were out gained by a total of 542-444 and went 2-10 on third downs in the loss. Northern Illinois opened the season with a win over Boston College, but they have lost four games in a row to Southern Illinois, Nebraska, Tulsa, and Toledo. The NIU offense is scoring 19.2 points per game with 195.6 passing yards per game and 121.6 rushing yards per game, while going 39.4% on third downs. Rocky Lombardi has thrown for 824 yards, three touchdowns, and four interceptions for the Huskies this season. Antario Brown has rushed for 336 yards and one touchdown, while Kacper Rutkiewicz has caught 19 passes for 249 yards and one score. The NIU defense is allowing 26 points against per game this year.
The Akron Zips are 1-4 (0-1) this season after they lost to Buffalo by a score of 13-10 in overtime last week. Akron led 7-0 after one quarter and 10-7 at the half, but they didn’t score in the second half or overtime. The Zips were out gained by a total of 254-253 and went 2-11 on third downs in the game. Akron has lost all four of their games against FBS opponents this year, with their only win coming against Morgan State by three points. The Akron offense is averaging 17 points per game with 201.6 passing yards per game and 101.4 rushing yards per game, while going 30.3% on third downs this season. DJ Irons (doubtful) has thrown for 722 yards, three touchdowns, and three interceptions for the Zips this year. If Irons can’t go, it will most likely be Jeff Undercuffler Jr. under center. Lorenzo Lingard has rushed for 238 yards and one touchdown, while Jasaiah Gathings has caught 21 passes for 205 yards. The Akron defense is giving up 24.4 points against per game this season.
Akron Zips Team Facts
- Akron has lost each of its last nine games against conference opponents at InfoCision Stadium.
- Akron has failed to cover the spread in each of its last four home games.
- Akron has lost the first half in seven of its last eight games against conference opponents at InfoCision Stadium.
- Nine of Akron's last 10 October games as a home underdog against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
Northern Illinois Huskies Team Facts
- Northern Illinois has lost each of its last eight games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Northern Illinois has failed to cover the spread in each of its last nine games as a favorite.
- Northern Illinois has lost the first half in seven of its last eight games against conference opponents.
- Four of Northern Illinois' last five October games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
- Northern Illinois suffered the equal-most losses by a margin of 10 points or less of any FBS team last season (6).
- Northern Illinois suffered the equal-most road losses by a margin of 10 points or less of any FBS team last season (4).
Akron comes into this game looking for their first win of the season against a FBS opponent, while NIU has lost four games in a row. Akron has lost their last two games in overtime and almost beat Indiana two weeks ago, but did lose in four overtimes. Both of these teams are pretty bad, but I do think Akron will finally break through here. The Zips have been close in their last two games and I am taking them with the points at home, regardless of their quarterback situation.