Michigan vs Minnesota Prediction - College Football Picks 10/7/23
Minnesota Golden Gophers (3-2) vs Michigan Wolverines (5-0)
Game Info: Saturday, October 7, 2023 at 7:30 pm (Huntington Bank Stadium)
Betting Odds: Minnesota Golden Gophers +18 -- Over/Under: 46 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: NBC Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Michigan Wolverines will play the Minnesota Golden Gophers in a Big Ten game on Saturday night at Huntington Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Michigan comes into this game undefeated and ranked #2, while Minnesota has lost two of their last three games.
The Michigan Wolverines are 5-0 (2-0) this season after they defeated Nebraska by a score of 45-7 last week. Michigan absolutely dominated this game and didn’t allow any points until late in the fourth quarter. The Wolverines out gained Nebraska by a total of 436-305 and forced one turnover + two turnovers on downs in the win. Michigan has scored 30+ points and has allowed seven points or fewer in five straight games. The Michigan offense is averaging 34.4 points per game with 227.4 passing yards per game and 184 rushing yards per game, while going 56.6% on third downs this year. J.J. McCarthy has thrown for 1,071 yards, 10 touchdowns, and three interceptions for the Wolverines this season. Blake Corum has rushed for 425 yards and nine scores, while Roman Wilson has caught 19 passes for 326 yards and eight touchdowns. The Michigan defense is allowing 6 points against per game this season and has looked great.
The Minnesota Golden Gophers are 3-2 (1-1) this season after they defeated Louisiana by a score of 35-24 in their last game. Minnesota trailed 17-14 at the half, but they scored 21 points in a row to take control of the game in the second half. The Golden Gophers were out gained by a total of 349-347, but did force two turnovers in the win. Minnesota opened the season with wins against Nebraska and Eastern Michigan, but lost the next two against North Carolina and Northwestern. The Minnesota offense is scoring 24 points per game with 149 passing yards per game and 193.2 rushing yards per game, while going 42.6% on third down attempts this year. Athan Kaliakmanis has thrown for 745 yards, five touchdowns, and four interceptions for the Golden Gophers this season. Darius Taylor (questionable) has rushed for 532 yards and four scores, while Daniel Jackson has caught 20 passes for 252 yards and four touchdowns. The Minnesota defense is giving up 21.6 points against per game and has allowed 24, 37, and 31 points in their last three games.
Minnesota Golden Gophers Team Facts
- Minnesota has lost 21 of its last 24 games against AP-ranked teams.
- Minnesota has failed to cover the spread in five of its last six games.
- Minnesota has won the first half in each of its last three games against conference opponents.
- Each of Minnesota's last eight home games against conference opponents have gone UNDER the total points line.
Michigan Wolverines Team Facts
- Michigan has won each of its last 17 games against conference opponents.
- Michigan has failed to cover the spread in five of its last six games.
- Michigan has won the first half in each of its last three games against conference opponents.
- Each of Michigan's last four October games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Minnesota ranked T5th among FBS teams for Q2 win percentage last season (.769).
- Minnesota ranked T5th among FBS teams for Q3 win percentage last season (.692).
- Michigan ranked 1st among FBS teams for Q4 win percentage last season (.929).
- Michigan ranked 2nd among FBS teams for Q3 win percentage last season (.786).
Michigan had opened the season with a few poor offensive games, but they looked really good on the road against Nebraska last week. Regardless of the offense, the Michigan defense looks to be one of the best units in the country and hasn’t allowed more than seven points in a game yet. Minnesota has lost two of their last three games, including a shocking loss to Northwestern. I don’t expect this Minnesota offense to threaten the Michigan defense and I think Michigan is going to win easily. Take the Wolverines here.