Marshall at NC State Prediction - College Football Picks 10/7/23
NC State Wolfpack (3-2) vs Marshall Thundering Herd (4-0)
Game Info: Saturday, October 7, 2023 at 2:00 pm (Carter-Finley Stadium)
Betting Odds: NC State Wolfpack -6.5 -- Over/Under: 47 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Marshall Thundering Herd will make the trip to Raleigh to meet the North Carolina State Wolfpack in non-conference play this weekend from N.C. State has won all five meetings, with the most recent coming back in 2018 by a final score of 37-20.
Marshall Thundering Herd Preview
Marshall improved to 4-0 after defeating Old Dominion in Huntington by six, 41-35. The Thundering Herd tacked on a notable non-conference win by holding off the Hokies in the fourth, and they’ll look to open conference play on a strong note this weekend. The Marshall offense is scoring 29.3 ppg, while passing for 243.3 ypg, rushing for 169.0 ypg, and converting 30.8% of their third downs.
Marshall Player Notes
• Cam Fancher had his best game of the season against ODU, going 29/35 for 278 yards, with two touchdowns to an interception, and he added 102 yards on the ground. The sophomore QB did everything to make sure the Herd remained undefeated, and he now has a chance to hand the ACC another loss this weekend. Fancher has passed for 890 yards, with four touchdowns to four interceptions for the season.
• Rasheen Ali has scored multiple times in all four games so far, and he leads the Herd in rushing yards (475), while leading the Sun Belt in touchdowns with nine total.
• Former CMU tight end Cade Conley found the endzone for the first time versus the Monarchs, and he leads the team in receptions (18) and receiving yards (167).
• The Marshall defense is allowing 20.5 points per game.
North Carolina State Wolfpack Preview
North Carolina State fell to 3-2 after losing to Louisville in Raleigh by three, 13-10. The Wolfpack nearly came through as home underdogs, but they’d blow it in the second half, and they’ll look to avoid dropping to .500 this weekend. The N.C. State offense is scoring 25.4 ppg, while passing for 194.2 ypg, rushing for 151.0 ypg, and converting 45.5% of their third downs.
N.C. State Player Notes
• Brennan Armstrong’s time behind center has ended, as the former UVA QB has failed to replicate his form in Raleighs, and MJ Morris will make his season debut. The sophomore quarterback brings a similar dual threat, and there’s hope he can improve the passing game after performing well through three starts last season, going for 648 yards with seven touchdowns to one interception.
• The Wolfpack haven’t had much room on the ground his season, and with Armstrong being the leading rusher and set to be on the bench, someone will have to step up in the run game.
• Freshman receiver Kevin Conception went for 116 yards in the road win over UVA, and he’s first on the team in receptions (23) and receiving yards (245).
• The N.C. State defense has allowed 20.0 points per game.
Marshall vs North Carolina State Trends
• Marshall is 2-2 against the spread, with a 1-3 O/U record.
• N.C. State is 1-3-1 ATS, with a 1-4 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
N.C. State’s questions at the quarterback leaves the door open for an upset here, and I think Marshall brings the fight this weekend. The Herd have comfortably marched through the region with wins over ECU, ODU, and VT, and their defense could make life hard for the Wolfpack. They’ve got advantages on the offensive end with the continuity in their backfield, so let’s see if Marshall can remain undefeated, and spot them the points for this non-conference battle.