Ball State vs Eastern Michigan Prediction - College Football Picks 10/7/23
Eastern Michigan Eagles (2-3) vs Ball State Cardinals (1-4)
Game Info: Saturday, October 7, 2023 at 3:30 pm (Rynearson Stadium)
Betting Odds: Eastern Michigan Eagles -2.5 -- Over/Under: 43 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN+ Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Ball State Cardinals will play the Eastern Michigan Eagles on Saturday afternoon at Rynearson Stadium in Ypsilanti, Michigan. Ball State is still looking for their first win against a FBS team, while Eastern Michigan has lost two games in a row.
Ball State Preview
The Ball State Cardinals are 1-4 (0-1) this season after they lost to Western Michigan by a score of 42-24 in their last game. Ball State trailed 28-10 at the half, but did score first in the second half to make it 28-17, before the Broncos were able to put the game away. The Cardinals were out gained by a total of 461-364 and went 3-12 on third downs in the loss. Ball State’s only win this season came against Indiana State, while losses came against Kentucky, Georgia, Georgia Southern, and Western Michigan. The Ball State offense is averaging 17.8 points per game with 196.6 passing yards per game and 104.4 rushing yards per game, while going 34.3% on third downs in this year. Layne Hatcher has thrown for 434 yards and three touchdowns for the Cardinals this season. Marquez Cooper has rushed for 316 yards and one touchdown, while Qian Magwood has caught 24 passes for 241 yards and one score. The Ball State defense is giving up 35.6 points against per game and has allowed 40+ points in four of their five games.
Eastern Michigan Preview
The Eastern Michigan Eagles are 2-3 (0-1) this season after they lost to Central Michigan by a score of 26-23 last week. Eastern Michigan led by a score of 23-19 in the fourth quarter, but gave up the lead in the fourth and missed a game tying field goal late in the game. The Eagles were out gained by a total of 411-341 and they went 7-14 on third down conversions in the loss. Eastern Michigan has wins over Howard and UMass, but losses against Minnesota, Jacksonville State, and CMU. The Eastern Michigan offense is scoring 16.2 points per game with 136.8 passing yards per game and 123.4 rushing yards per game, while going 30.2% on third downs. Austin Smith has thrown for 642 yards, three touchdowns, and three interceptions for the Eagles this year. Jaylon Jackson has rushed for 258 yards and one touchdown, while Tanner Knue has caught 22 passes for 187 yards and two scores. The EMU defense is allowing 22.4 points against per game and has played pretty well this season.
Eastern Michigan Eagles Team Facts
- Eastern Michigan has lost three of its last four October games as a home favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Eastern Michigan has failed to cover the spread in each of its last eight games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Eastern Michigan has won the first quarter in three of its last four games against conference opponents at Rynearson Stadium.
- Each of Eastern Michigan's last four October games as a home favorite have gone UNDER the total points line.
Ball State Cardinals Team Facts
- Ball State has won each of its last six October games as an underdog.
- Ball State has covered the spread in each of its last six October games as an underdog.
- Six of Ball State's last seven road games against conference opponents have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Eastern Michigan ranked T30th among FBS teams for Q1 win percentage last season (.538).
- Eastern Michigan ranked T30th among FBS teams for Q3 win percentage last season (.538).
- Ball State ranked 9th among FBS teams for Q3 win percentage last season (.667).
- Ball State was one of only 20 FBS teams to win 3+ games when trailing at HT last season.
Ball State will look to pick up their first win against a FBS team this season, while Eastern Michigan will try to get back to .500. Ball State has allowed 82 points in their last two games, which should help a bad Eastern Michigan offense get going. Eastern Michigan has been much better when looking at points allowed, but they are giving up over 400 yards per game on defense. I think Eastern Michigan has the advantage in this game, but I think we are going to see a higher scoring game here, so I am going to take the over.