Utah State at UCONN Prediction - College Football Picks 9/30/23
UCONN Huskies (0-4) vs Utah State Aggies (1-3)
Game Info: Saturday, September 30, 2023 at 12:00 pm (Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field)
Betting Odds: UCONN Huskies +5.5 -- Over/Under: 51.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: CBSS Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Utah State Aggies will travel to Storrs to meet the UConn Huskies in non-conference action this weekend from Rentschler Field on CBS Sports. USU has won both meetings, including last year’s contest in Logan by eleven, 31-20.
Utah State Aggies Preview
Utah State enters at 1-3 after losing to James Madison at home by a touchdown, 45-38. The Aggies had their rally cut short by the Dukes in the fourth quarter, and they’ll attempt to bounce back here before conference play settles in. The USU offense is scoring 37.8 ppg, while passing for 268.5 ypg, rushing for 162.0 ypg, and converting 35.7% of their third downs.
USU Player Notes
• McCae Hillstead put a rough first half behind him, and nearly quarterbacked the Aggies to a comeback victory, passing for 399 yard, with four touchdowns to three interceptions. The true freshman faced a fierce JMU defense, but he grew in the second portion of the contest, and he’ll look to put that on display here against UConn. Hillstead has passed for 619 yards, with seven touchdowns to three interceptions thru three appearances.
• Junior back Davon Booth surpassed the 100-yard mark for the first time last weekend, and he leads USU in rushing with 238 yards on 42 carries.
• Senior wideout Terrell Vaughn made his presence felt again last week with a ten-catch, 124-yard outing versus the Dukes, and he’s among the nations leaders with 38 receptions, and he leads the team with 347 receiving yards.
• The USU defense is allowing 34.0 points per game.
Connecticut Huskies Preview
UConn comes in at 0-4 after falling to Duke at home, 41-7. The Huskies had a very tough time in their blue blood battle with the Dukies, and they’ll look to avoid a fifth straight loss here against the Aggies. The Connecticut offense is scoring 13.0 ppg, while passing for 168.3 ypg, rushing for 118.0 ypg, and converting 40.3% of their third downs.
UConn Player Notes
• Ta’quan Roberson wasn’t able to get much going against the Blue Devils, going 13/28 for 114 yards, with a score on the ground. The junior quarterback isn’t asked to do much more than game manage, as the Huskies are a true run-first team, but he’ll attempt to get his team into the win column this Saturday. Roberson has passed for 500 yards, with three touchdowns to one interception.
• Sophomore back Victor Rosa managed to gain 68 yards against Duke last week, and he leads UConn in rushing with 218 yards on 42 carries.
• Delaware transfer Brett Buckman leads the team in receptions (18) and receiving yards (205).
• The Connecticut defense has allowed 31.0 points per game.
Utah State vs Connecticut Trends
• USU is 2-2 against the spread, with a 3-1 O/U record.
• UConn is 1-3 ATS, with a 1-3 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
Utah State’s second half rally with a freshman quarterback was admirable last weekend, and I believe they’ll break through and get back into the win column this Saturday in Storrs. UConn has regressed from the minimal progress they made last season, and without a reliable passing game, they’re going to continue to struggle on the offensive end. The Aggies have something with McCae Hillstead, and he should be able to settle more into the QB1 role against a below average defense. Back Utah State to cover as road favorites this weekend.