Pittsburgh at Virginia Tech Prediction - College Football Picks 9/30/23
Virginia Tech Hokies (1-3) vs Pittsburgh Panthers (1-3)
Game Info: Saturday, September 30, 2023 at 8:00 pm (Lane Stadium/Worsham Field)
Betting Odds: Virginia Tech Hokies +3.5 -- Over/Under: 45.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ACCN Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Pittsburgh Pirates will make the trip to Blacksburg meet the Virginia Tech Hokies in ACC action this Saturday from Lane Stadium on the ACC Network. Virginia Tech and Pitt were former conference rivals in the Big East Conference, prior to the latter joining the ACC back in 2012. The head-to-head series is tied, 11-11, as the Panthers have taken the last three meetings.
Pittsburgh Panthers Preview
Pittsburgh fell to 1-3 after losing to North Carolina at home. The Panthers couldn’t keep up with the Tar Heels offensive attack, and they’ll look to avoid a fourth straight loss this weekend. The Pitt offense is scoring 24.0 ppg, while passing for 182.0 ypg, rushing for 135.0 ypg, and converting 40.4% of their third downs.
Pittsburgh Player Notes
• Phil Jurkovec left last week’s contest at halftime, which may mean Christian Veilleux ends up getting the nod again. The former Penn State QB struggled in his one half of action, going 7/18 for 85 yards and two interceptions, and if he gets the call again, he will face a fierce night environment here at Lane Stadium.
• Junior back Rodney Hammond Jr. led the way with 83 yards and a score in the loss to UNC, and he now leads the team with 178 rushing yards.
• Third-year wideout Konata Mumpfield leads Pitt in receptions (16), after catching eight passes for 90 yards in the loss to North Carolina.
• The Pitt defense has allowed 23.0 points per game.
Virginia Tech Hokies Preview
Virginia Tech dropped to 1-3 after losing to Marshall in Huntington by a touchdown, 24-17. The Hokies couldn’t overcome a double digit fourth quarter margin, and they’ll look to turn things around here in ACC play. The Virginia Tech offense is scoring 21.5 ppg, while passing for 221.0 ypg, rushing for 135.0 ypg, and converting 30.4% of their third downs.
VT Player Notes
• Kyron Drones struggled to push the ball through the air again last week, only going 19/35 for 160 yards, but he managed to add 75 yards and a pair of scores on the ground. The former Baylor QB didn’t fare too well in the passing game two road starts against Rutgers and Marshall, and he’ll attempt to turn things around here at home. Drones has thrown for 390 yards, with one touchdown to one interception, while adding 164 and a pair of scores on the ground.
• Junior back Bhayshul Tuten totaled 123 yards (88 rush, 45 rec), and he leads Tech with 192 rushing yards.
• Senior wideout Da’quan Felton led the way with six catches for 84 receiving yards, and a score against Rutgers, while Wright leads the team with ten receptions.
• The Tech defense is allowing 25.0 points per game.
Pitt vs Virginia Tech Trends
• Virginia Tech is 1-3 against the spread, with a 2-2 O/U record.
• Pittsburgh is 1-3 ATS, with a 3-1 over/under record.
• VT has won 16 of its last 19 September home games against non-AP-ranked teams.
• PITT has hit the Game Total Over in 9 of their last 13 games
• PITT has lost nine of its last 11 road games in September.
Corey’s Free Pick
Pittsburgh’s quarterback situation is surprisingly murkier than Virginia Tech’s, and this will give the hosts an opportunity to break through. Blacksburg is one of the toughest places to play in the country, and if Pitt has to trot Christian Veilleux out Saturday, there’s a chance he falls victim to the environment. Two of Tech’s three losses have come by one possession, so they’ve been competing this season, they just haven’t been able to cross the finish line. Lane Stadium at night is a different beast, and if the Hokies can feed off of their home crowd, they will have a shot to win this game. Spot Tech the points for safety in this former Big East matchup.