Penn State vs Northwestern Prediction - College Football Picks 9/30/23
Northwestern Wildcats (2-2) vs Penn State Nittany Lions (4-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 30, 2023 at 12:00 pm (Ryan Field)
Betting Odds: Northwestern Wildcats +21.5 -- Over/Under: 47 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: BTN Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Penn State Nittany Lions and Northwestern Wildcats face off on Saturday in a Week 5 college football showdown at Ryan Field.
Can Northwestern Shock the World?
Northwestern shocked the world last game against Minnesota and they are going to try and do it again here. At halftime against Minnesota, Northwestern was down 24-7 and it looked like they were out of it. In the 4th quarter though, Northwestern scored 21 points and that was enough to force time and eventually the victory. Ben Bryant had a big game completing 33 of his 49 passes for 396 yards and four touchdowns. Northwestern is averaging 24 points while their defense is giving up 25.8 points per game.
Northwestern Betting Trends
- Northwestern has lost 12 of its last 13 games against AP-ranked teams.
- The road team has covered the spread in each of the last four games between Penn State and Northwestern.
- Northwestern has lost the first half in six of its last seven games against conference opponents.
- Each of Northwestern's last five games against top-15 AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
Penn State Sure Has Impressed
Penn State looks like they could win the Big Ten title this season and they currently sit with a 4-0 record. Last Saturday against Iowa, Penn State had quite the victory. Penn State’s offense scored 31 points while the defense gave up zero points. Quarterback Drew Allar completed 25 of his 37 passes for 156 yards and four touchdowns. They also allowed Cade McNamara to complete only five passes for 42 yards. Penn State is averaging 40.5 points while their defense is giving up 8.8 points per game.
Penn State Betting Trends
- Penn State has won each of its last 15 games in September.
- Penn State has covered the spread in each of its last 10 games as a favorite.
- Penn State has won the first half in 10 of its last 11 games against conference opponents.
- Four of Penn State's last five road games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
Shane’s Free Pick
Northwestern’s offense overall has been an issue and they are going to get back to their struggles scoring again here. Penn State is going to have no issue running up the score against this Northwestern defense. Penn State’s defense gave up zero points in the last game and Northwestern won’t even reach seven points here. This is going to be a blowout victory for Penn State. Back Penn State against the spread here.