Temple vs Tulsa Prediction - College Football Picks 9/28/23
Tulsa Golden Hurricane (2-2) vs Temple Owls (2-2)
Game Info: Thursday, September 28, 2023 at 7:30 pm (Skelly Field at H.A. Chapman Stadium)
Betting Odds: Tulsa Golden Hurricane -3 -- Over/Under: 55.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Temple Owls will play the Tulsa Golden Hurricane in an AAC game on Thursday night at Chapman Stadium in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Temple has lost two straight games against FBS opponents, while Tulsa is coming off of a road win against NIU.
The Temple Owls are 2-2 this season after they lost to Miami by a score of 41-7 in their last game. Temple allowed Miami to score the first 24 points in this game and was not able to score any points in the second half. The Owls were out gained by a total of 543-279 and turned the ball over three times in the loss. Temple also allowed Miami to rush for over 320 yards in the game. Temple has wins against Akron and Norfolk State and losses to Rutgers and Miami. The Temple offense is scoring 19.8 points per game with 258 passing yards per game and 107.5 rushing yards per game, while going 39.3% on third down attempts. E.J. Warner has thrown for 1,000 yards, five touchdowns, and four interceptions for the Owls this year. Joquez Smith has rushed for 191 yards and one touchdown, while Amad Anderson Jr. has caught 21 passes for 297 yards. The Temple defense is allowing 26.8 points against per game and struggled against Rutgers and Miami.
The Tulsa Golden Hurricane are 2-2 this season after they defeated Northern Illinois by a score of 22-14 last week. Tulsa trailed 14-9 in the third quarter, but was able to score the final 13 points in the game for the win. The Golden Hurricane were out gained by a total of 295-281 and turned the ball over three times in the game. Tulsa opened the season with a win over Arkansas-Pine Bluff, but lost back to back games against Washington and Oklahoma. The Tulsa offense is averaging 22.8 points per game with 181.5 passing yards per game and 170.5 rushing yards per game, while going 43.3% on third down attempts. Cardell Williams has thrown for 596 yards, five touchdowns, and five interceptions for the Golden Hurricane this year. Anthony Watkins has rushed for 243 yards and one touchdown, while Marquis Shoulders has caught 11 passes for 207 yards and three scores. The Tulsa defense is giving up 32.5 points against per game this season, but most of that damage was done against Washington and Oklahoma.
Tulsa Golden Hurricane Team Facts
- Tulsa has won each of its last four games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Tulsa has failed to cover the spread in each of its last six home games.
- Tulsa has lost the first half in three of its last four home games against conference opponents.
- Each of Tulsa's last four home games in September have gone OVER the total points line.
Temple Owls Team Facts
- Temple has lost each of its last 10 road games.
- Temple has failed to cover the spread in five of its last six September games as an underdog.
- Temple has lost the first half in eight of its last 10 road games against conference opponents.
- Each of Temple's last five September games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Tulsa ranked 26th among FBS teams for H1 points per game last season (17.8).
- Tulsa ranked T40th among FBS teams for Q4 win percentage last season (.500).
Both of these teams come into this matchup with a 2-2 record, but Tulsa does have the momentum after winning last week. Temple hasn’t looked great this season, as Miami and Rutgers blew them out, and they only beat Akron by three points. I think we are going to see a lower scoring game here, as both teams play somewhat conservatively to try and avoid falling behind early. Take the under in this matchup.