Virginia Tech at Marshall Prediction - College Football Picks 9/23/23
Marshall Thundering Herd (2-0) vs Virginia Tech Hokies (1-2)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 12:00 pm (Joan C. Edwards Stadium)
Betting Odds: Marshall Thundering Herd -7.5 -- Over/Under: 42 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Virginia Tech Hokies will head up to Huntington to meet the Marshall Thundering Herd in non-conference play this Saturday from Edwards Stadium on ESPN2. VT leads the head-to-head series, 11-2, after winning the last nine meetings.
Virginia Tech Hokies Preview
Virginia Tech dropped to 1-2 after losing to Rutgers in Jersey by double figures, 35-16. The Hokies were outmatched in their road opener by their former conference foes, and they’ll attempt to close the non-conference slate strong here in West VA. The Virginia Tech offense is scoring 23.0 ppg, while passing for 241.3 ypg, rushing for 83.2 ypg, and converting 34.9% of their third downs.
VT Player Notes
• Kyron Drones got the start last week, and delivered mixed results, passing for 190 yards with a touchdown and a pick, while adding 74 yards on the ground. The former Baylor QB brought a dual-threat ability that’s all too familiar to Hokies fans, and there’s a chance he starts again here in Week 4.
• Former starter Grant Wells is listed as questionable, and it’d be fitting if he gets the call this week, as he transferred in from Marshall last season.
• Junior back Bhayshul Tuten has scored in consecutive games, and he leads Tech with a modest 104 rushing yards.
• Senior wideout Da’quan Felton led the way with six catches for 84 receiving yards, and a score against Rutgers last week.
• The Tech defense is allowing 25.3 points per game.
Marshall Thundering Herd Preview
Marshall enters at 2-0 after defeating East Carolina in Greenville, 31-13. The Thundering Herd blew past their former conference rivals in the fourth quarter, and they'll look to tack on another regional win here against Tech Saturday. The Thundering Herd nearly got an early scare for the Great Danes, but they avoided the embarrassing defeat, and they’ll look to clean things up in Greenville this weekend. The Marshall offense is scoring 26.0 ppg, while passing for 264.5 ypg, rushing for 138.0 ypg, and converting 28% of their third downs.
Marshall Player Notes
• Returning starter Cam Fancher produced in the opener despite the scare, going 28/35, for 268 passing yards, with a touchdown to an interception.
• Junior back Rasheen Ali had a great game, going for 137 rushing yards on 18 carries and two touchdowns.
• Sophomore wide out Chuck Montgomery scored and gained a team-high 81 yards on six catches, while CMU transfer tight end led the Herd turned a team-lead seven receptions into 79 yards.
• The Marshall defense has allowed 15.0 points per game.
Virginia Tech vs Marshall Trends
• Virginia Tech is 1-2 against the spread, with a 1-2 O/U record.
• Marshall is 1-2 ATS, with a 2-1 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
Virginia Tech’s limited offense may hinder them again this weekend, as they’ll travel and take on a Marshall team that thrives off of their energy on the defensive side of the ball. Kyron Drones may end up being the guy, but for the moment, they bring an even more unpolished offense up into the mountains, and they may experience more growing pains as a group. Virginia Tech as underdogs to Marshall is going to feel crazy to look at it, but they aren’t the favorites for good reason. Back Marshall for this non-conference matchup.