USC at Arizona State Prediction - College Football Picks 9/23/23
Arizona State Sun Devils (1-2) vs USC Trojans (3-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 10:30 pm (Mountain America Stadium)
Betting Odds: Arizona State Sun Devils +34 -- Over/Under: 69.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The USC Trojans will travel to Tempe to take on the Arizona State Sun Devils in Pac-12 play this Saturday from Mountain America Stadium on Fox. Southern Cal and Arizona State have met in every season since 1982, and the Trojans lead the head-to-head series, 24-14.
Southern Cal Trojans Preview
USC comes in at 3-0 after defeating Stanford in Los Angeles, 56-10. The Trojans opened conference play with a convincing win over the Cardinal, and they’ll look to tune up for a big game in Boulder next weekend here against ASU. The USC offense is scoring 31.0 ppg, while passing for 226.3 ypg, rushing for 175.7 ypg, and converting 54.2% of their third downs.
USC Player Notes
• Caleb Williams had another flawless start in Week 3 against Stanford, going 19/21 for 281 yards, with three scores and a 21-yard touchdown run. The Washington DC native has a real chance to repeat as the Heisman trophy winner after a great three-game stretch to open the season, and he’ll look to keep rolling in his first road spot of the year. Williams has thrown for 878 passing yards, with twelve touchdowns to no interceptions on the season.
• Marshawn Lloyd decided Southern Cal was the real USC after coming over from South Carolina this summer, and he leads the team in rushing yards (195).
• Senior wideout Tahj Washington leads the Trojans in receiving yards (233) on nine catches.
• The USC defense has allowed 17.3 points per game.
Arizona State Sun Devils Preview
Arizona State fell to 1-2 after being held scoreless by Fresno State at home, 29-0, the Sun Devils hit another low with a shutout loss to the non-Power 5 Bulldogs, and they face another uphill battle with the men of Troy coming to Tempe this weekend. The ASU offense is scoring 31.0 ppg, while passing for 226.3 ypg, rushing for 175.7 ypg, and converting 54.2% of their third downs.
ASU Player Notes
• Arizona State lost freshman quarterback Jaden Rashada in the loss to Oklahoma State, and they turned to transfer QBs Drew Pyne and Jacob Conover, who’d come in and combine for four interceptions. 2022 starter Trenton Bourguet also got time and threw a pick himself, and it’s unclear who will get the nod this weekend against USC.
• Former Sacramento State back Cameron Skattebo scored in the first two games, and he leads ASU in rushing with 148 yards on 36 touches.
• Junior wideout Xavier Guillory leads the Sun Devils in receptions (12) and receiving yards (140).
• The ASU defense is allowing 25.6 points per game.
USC vs Arizona State Trends
• USC is 3-0 against the spread, with a 2-1 O/U record.
• ASU is 0-3 ATS, with a 0-3 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
This game could get really ugly for Arizona State, as the men of Troy will enter the desert fresh off of their early Week 3 bye, and they’ve been firing on all cylinders. ASU had something special with Jaden Rashada, but with freshman QB set to miss multiple weeks, the quarterback situation is far too murky coming into a game against this caliber of a team. Southern Cal should hit the switch early in this game, and it should simply come down to a matter of how much. Back a USC blowout for this Pac-12 matchup.