Tulsa vs NIU Prediction - College Football Picks 9/23/23
NIU Huskies (1-2) vs Tulsa Golden Hurricane (1-2)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 12:00 pm (Brigham Field at Huskie Stadium)
Betting Odds: NIU Huskies -4 -- Over/Under: 54.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: CBSSN Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Tulsa Golden Hurricane and Northern Illinois Huskies face off on Saturday in a Week 4 college football showdown at Huskie Stadium.
Tulsa is Battle Tested
Tulsa has played a tough schedule to start to the season and they come into this game with a 1-2 record. In the first game of the season against Arkansas Pine Bluff, Tulsa was able to win 42-7. Two games ago against Washington, they were defeated 43-10, and in the last game against Oklahoma they were defeated 66-17, In the last game, Cardell Williams completed 11 of his 17 passes for 196 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions. Bill Jackson was the top rusher finishing with 10 carries for 40 yards. The offense has shown they are talented, in this game, it’s going to come down to the defense.
Tulsa Betting Trends
- Tulsa has lost each of its last 10 September games as a road underdog.
- The road team has covered the spread in seven of Tulsa's last eight games.
- Tulsa has lost the first half in three of its last four games against non-conference opponents.
- Four of Tulsa's last five September games as an underdog against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
Northern Illinois Looks for Second Win
Northern Illinois has also been battle-tested heading into this game and they already have one big win this season. In the first game of the season, the Huskies faced off against Boston College and they were able to win 27-24 in overtime. In the last two games though they have lost to Southern Illinois and Nebraska. Under center for Northern Illinois is Rocky Lombardi, and he has been inconsistent. In the last game he completed 11 of his 28 passes for 73 yards, one interception, and zero touchdowns. He needs to improve the interceptions, or this will be a long game.
Northern Illinois Betting Trends
- Northern Illinois has lost each of its last seven games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Northern Illinois has failed to cover the spread in each of its last eight games at Brigham Field at Huskie Stadium.
- Northern Illinois has won the first half in three of its last four games against non-conference opponents at Brigham Field at Huskie Stadium.
- Seven of Northern Illinois' last eight games against non-conference opponents have gone OVER the total points line.
Tulsa vs Northern Illinois Facts
- Northern Illinois suffered the equal-most losses by a margin of 10 points or less of any FBS team last season (6).
- Northern Illinois suffered the equal-most road losses by a margin of 10 points or less of any FBS team last season (4).
- Tulsa ranked 26th among FBS teams for H1 points per game last season (17.8).
- Tulsa ranked T40th among FBS teams for Q4 win percentage last season (.500).
Shane’s Free Pick
I don’t trust this Northern Illinois team, and a big reason I dont’t trust them is the play of Rocky Lombardi. He has had some interceptions heading into this game and I think he’s going to really struggle again in this game. Tulsa’s offense showed they were good in the first game and they are going to find success scoring again in this game. I think Tulsa can win this game outright, but I will take the points to be safe. Back Tulsa against the spread.