Texas Tech vs West Virginia Prediction - College Football Picks 9/23/23
West Virginia Mountaineers (2-1) vs Texas Tech Red Raiders (1-2)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 3:30 pm (Mountaineer Field at Milan Puskar Stadium)
Betting Odds: West Virginia Mountaineers +6 -- Over/Under: 55 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN+ Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Texas Tech Red Raiders and West Virginia Mountaineers face off on Saturday in a Week 4 college football showdown at Milan Puskar Stadium.
Texas Tech has Been Confusing
Texas Tech has been one of the more confusing teams this season. In the first game of the season, Texas Tech was defeated by Wyoming 35-33. In the second game against a very good Oregon team, Texas Tech was quite impressive but they still lost by eight points. In the last game, Texas Tech faced off against Tarleton State in a gimmie game, and they ended up winning 41-3. Even though Texas Tech won, Tyler Shough didn’t look great in the last game and he completed only 50 percent of his passes for 123 yards, one touchdown, and zero interceptions. Even though he wasn’t exactly dominant, he is going to get the start again here.
Texas Tech Betting Trends
- Texas Tech has lost each of its last three September games as a road favorite.
- Texas Tech has failed to cover the spread in each of its last four September games as a road favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Four of Texas Tech's last five September games as a favorite have gone OVER the total points line.
West Virginia Ready to be Tested
West Virginia sits with a 2-1 record and this should be a really good test for them. In the first game against Penn State, West Virginia only scored 15 points and they ended up losing in a blowout. In the last two games though, the defense has really stepped up. In the last game against Pitt, Texas Tech only gave up six points and they ended up winning by 11 points. Even though they won, the offense only managed 17 points, and especially the quarterback play left a lot to be desired. Nicco Marchoi completed 6 of his 9 passes for 60 yards, one touchdown, and zero interceptions.
West Virginia Betting Trends
- West Virginia has won 22 of its last 25 September games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- West Virginia has covered the spread in eight of its last 10 September games at Milan Puskar Stadium.
- West Virginia has lost the first half in each of its last four home games against conference opponents.
- Six of West Virginia's last seven games as an underdog against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
Texas Tech vs West Virginia Facts
- West Virginia was one of only 20 FBS teams to win 3+ games when trailing at HT last season.
- Texas Tech ranked 27th among FBS teams for points per game last season (34.2).
- Texas Tech ranked T30th among FBS teams for H1 points per game last season (17.5).
Shane’s Free Pick
This total is too high. West Virginia’s offense struggled against Pitt and it’s not going to be any different in this game. I am not sold on the West Virginia quarterback and they are going to have some major issues here. I do expect the defense is going to step up against Texas Tech though. Shough is going to really struggle under center for Texas Tech and that will be the difference here. Back West Virginia against the spread.