Southern Miss at Arkansas State Prediction - College Football Picks 9/23/23
Arkansas State Red Wolves (1-2) vs Southern Miss Golden Eagles (1-2)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 7:00 pm (Centennial Bank Stadium)
Betting Odds: Arkansas State Red Wolves +6 -- Over/Under: 49 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Southern Miss Golden Eagles will make the trip to Jonesboro to face the Arkansas State Red Wolves in Sun Belt play this weekend from Centennial Bank Stadium on ESPN+.Southern Miss leads the head-to-head series, 10-2, after winning last year’s meeting in Hattiesburg by a single point, 20-19.
Southern Miss Eagles Preview
Southern Miss comes in at 1-2 following a home loss to Tulane, 21-3. The Golden Eagles couldn’t get anything going against their former conference rivals, and they’ll attempt to turn things around here against Arkansas State. The Southern Miss offense is scoring 18.7 ppg, while passing for 209.0 ypg, rushing for 91.3 ypg, and converting 30.2% of their third downs.
USM Player Notes
• Billy Wiles struggled again last week versus Tulane, only going 19/33 for 177 yards, while producing no touchdowns. The sophomore quarterback will look forward to the tone down in the matchup here after dealing with Florida State the week prior, and there’s a good chance he delivers against a poor Arkansas State defense. Wiles has passed for 598 yards, with three touchdowns to two interceptions in three starts.
• Junior back Dreke Clark leads the team in rushing yards (15), after a strong performance against FSU, while former 1,000-yard back Frank Gore Jr. has only gained 76 yards on 30 touches.
• Senior wideout Jakarius Caston leads USM with 181 yards receiving on nine receptions.
• The Southern Miss defense is allowing 33.6 points per game.
Arkansas State Red Wolves Preview
Arkansas State enters at 1-2 after defeating Stony Brook at home, 31-7. The Red Wolves hopped into the win column last weekend, and they’ll attempt to double down here at home. The Arkansas State offense is scoring 31.0 ppg, while passing for 226.3 ypg, rushing for 175.7 ypg, and converting 54.2% of their third downs.
Arkansas State Player Notes
• The Red Wolves will have to decide who they’ll turn to behind center this weekend, as Colorado transfer J.T. Shroud may still be out after missing last weekend’s contest.
• Sophomore back Ja’Quez Cross carried the team to a victory last week with a career-high 164 yards and two scores, and he leads the team in rushing (231).
• Former Syracuse wideout Courtney Jackson found the endzone last weekend, and he leads Arkansas State in catches (7) and receiving yards (105).
• The Arkansas State defense has allowed 39.0 points per game.
Southern Miss vs Arkansas State Trends
• USM is 1-2 against the spread, with a 2-1 O/U record.
• Ark. State is 1-2 ATS, with a 1-2 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
I hate to be that guy, but what happened in Arkansas State’s was a sign of things to come for them this year. The Red Wolves aren’t going to be a very productive team offensively this season, which will leave them vulnerable throughout the season, and this contest gives Southern Miss a shot to get things going after two brawls with Tulane and Florida State. The Golden Eagles have a solid quarterback and pair of backs they will lean on this weekend, and I like their chances on the road here. Things may get better for Arkansas State as the campaign grows on, but let’s target them until they prove otherwise. Back Southern Miss for this Sun Belt battle.