Rutgers vs Michigan Prediction - College Football Picks 9/23/23
Michigan Wolverines (3-0) vs Rutgers Scarlet Knights (3-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 12:00 pm (Michigan Stadium)
Betting Odds: Michigan Wolverines -24 -- Over/Under: 44 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: BTN Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Rutgers Scarlet Knights and Michigan Wolverines face off on Saturday in a Week 4 college football showdown at Michigan Stadium.
Is Rutgers Good?
Is this the year that Rutgers is finally turning the corner? Rutgers have won all three games and two of those games were against power five conference teams. The defense has been quite impressive in all three games and they have given up only 30 points total. In the last game against Virginia Tech, Rutgers was able to secure the 35-16 victory. Kyle Monanagai finished with 16 carries for 143 yards and three touchdowns. Rutgers didn’t need to throw the ball a lot and Gavin Wimsatt completed 7 of his 16 passes for 46 yards, one touchdown, and zero interceptions. In this game, Wimsatt is going to need to have a big game through the air.
Rutgers Betting Trends
- Rutgers has lost each of its last four road games.
- Rutgers has failed to cover the spread in each of its last five games against top-15 AP-ranked teams.
- Rutgers has lost the first half in each of its last five road games against conference opponents.
- Each of Rutgers' last five games against top-10 AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
Jim Harbaugh Back From Suspension
Jim Harbaugh is back from his three game suspension, and he hopes to build on what the team has done in the first three games. Even though they have won the first three games, they haven’t played a good team yet. In the first three games, Michigan has given up only 16 points total, and it looks like the defense is what they are going to lean on this season. JJ McCarthy played well in the first two games, but against Bowling Green, he had issues. McCarthy had three interceptions, and he can’t have another three interception game here. Running back Blake Corum has been running wild and he had 12 carries for 101 yards and two touchdowns.
Michigan Betting Trends
- Michigan has won each of its last 25 home games in September.
- Michigan has failed to cover the spread in each of its last five games against non-AP-ranked teams at Michigan Stadium.
- Michigan has won the first half in 17 of its last 20 games against conference opponents.
- Twelve of Michigan's last 13 games against non-AP-ranked teams at Michigan Stadium have gone UNDER the total points line.
Rutgers vs Michigan Facts
- Michigan ranked 1st among FBS teams for Q4 win percentage last season (.929).
- Michigan ranked 2nd among FBS teams for Q3 win percentage last season (.786).
Shane’s Free Pick
Michigan’s defense has been elite, and he’s going to lockdown again in this game. Rutgers has looked good this season, but I still don’t trust the offense, especially going against a good defense like Michigan. McCarthy also showed some issues in his last game, and he’s going to really struggle again here. Look for McCarthy to throw an interception or two. There isn’t a good play on the side, but this game is going to be lower scoring and the under is going to cash here.