Oklahoma State vs Iowa State Prediction - College Football Picks 9/23/23
Iowa State Cyclones (1-2) vs Oklahoma State Cowboys (2-1)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 4:00 pm (Jack Trice Stadium)
Betting Odds: Iowa State Cyclones -3.5 -- Over/Under: 36.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: FS1 Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Oklahoma State Cowboys will play the Iowa State Cyclones in a Big 12 game on Saturday afternoon at Jack Trice Stadium in Ames, Iowa. Oklahoma State is coming off of a bad home loss to South Alabama, while Iowa State lost on the road to Ohio.
Oklahoma State Preview
The Oklahoma State Cowboys are 2-1 this season after they lost to South Alabama by a score of 33-7 in their last game. Oklahoma State trailed 23-0 at halftime, but did cut the lead to 23-7 in the fourth quarter. The Cowboys were out gained by a total of 395-208 and turned the ball over two times in the loss. Oklahoma State defeated Central Arkansas and Arizona State in their first two games of the year. The Oklahoma State offense is scoring 20.3 points per game with 203 passing yards per game and 118.7 rushing yards per game, while going 39.1% on third down attempts this season. Oklahoma State continues to play three quarterbacks, Alan Bowman, Gunnar Gundy, and Garret Rangel, and plans to do the same in this game. Ollie Gordon II has rushed for 109 yards and two scores, while Jaden Bray has caught 14 passes for 160 yards. The Oklahoma State defense is allowing 20.3 points against per game this season.
Iowa State Preview
The Iowa State Cyclones are 1-2 this season after they lost to Ohio by a score of 10-7 last week. Iowa State trailed 10-0 in the fourth quarter, but was able to score with about four minutes left in the game. There was a very close field goal attempt that was called no good against Iowa State, which may have changed the outcome. The Cyclones out gained Ohio by a total of 271-247, but turned the ball over twice in the loss. Iowa State defeated Northern Iowa by a score of 30-9, but lost to Iowa by a score of 20-13 in Week 2. The Iowa State offense is averaging 16.7 points per game with 184 passing yards per game and 86.3 rushing yards per game, while going 30% on third downs. Rocco Becht has thrown for 549 yards, four touchdowns, and three interceptions for the Cyclones this year. Cartevious Norton has rushed for 123 yards, while Jayden Higgins has caught 12 passes for 141 yards and two scores. The Iowa State defense is giving up 13 points against per game this year.
Iowa State Cyclones Team Facts
- Iowa State has lost three of its last four games as a favorite.
- The underdog has covered the spread in each of the last four games between Oklahoma State and Iowa State at Jack Trice Stadium.
- Iowa State has lost the first half in four of its last five home games against conference opponents.
- Each of Iowa State's last six games as a favorite have gone UNDER the total points line.
Oklahoma State Cowboys Team Facts
- Oklahoma State has won 13 of its last 14 September games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Oklahoma State has covered the spread in each of its last five road games in September.
- Each of Oklahoma State's last nine games have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Iowa State ranked T19th among FBS teams for Q3 points allowed per game last season (3.8).
- Iowa State ranked 25th among FBS teams for Q1 points allowed per game last season (4.0).
- Oklahoma State ranked T21st among FBS teams for Q2 win percentage last season (.615).
- Oklahoma State was one of only 26 FBS teams to win 2+ games when trailing after Q3 last season.
Both of these teams are coming off of very disappointing results last week, but the Oklahoma State showing at home was really bad. Iowa State did lose to a MAC school, but the defense played well and they probably got robbed of a good field goal. I think the Iowa State defense will be the difference in this game and their offense will do just enough to cover at home. Take Iowa State in this one.