Mississippi State vs South Carolina Prediction - College Football Picks 9/23/23
South Carolina Gamecocks (1-2) vs Mississippi State Bulldogs (2-1)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 7:30 pm (Williams-Brice Stadium)
Betting Odds: South Carolina Gamecocks -6 -- Over/Under: 47 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: SEC Network Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Mississippi State Bulldogs will play the South Carolina Gamecocks in a SEC game on Saturday night at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, South Carolina. Mississippi State was blown out at home last week, while South Carolina nearly upset Georgia on the road.
Mississippi State Preview
The Mississippi State Bulldogs are 2-1 (0-1) this season after they lost to LSU by a score of 41-14 in their last game. Mississippi State allowed LSU to score the first 24 points in the game and they really never had a chance to even make it close. The Bulldogs were out gained by a total of 530-201 and went 3-13 on third downs in the loss. Mississippi State defeated SE Louisiana by a score of 48-7 in Week 1 and Arizona by a score of 31-24 in overtime in Week 2. The Mississippi State offense is averaging 31 points per game with 165.3 passing yards per game and 179 rushing yards per game, while going 31.4% on third downs this season. Will Rogers has thrown for 492 yards and five touchdowns for the Bulldogs this year. Jo’Quavious Marks has rushed for 325 yards and three scores, while Lideatrick Griffin has caught 13 passes for 132 yards and two touchdowns. The Mississippi State defense is giving up 24 points against per game this season.
South Carolina Preview
The South Carolina Gamecocks are 1-2 (0-1) this season after they lost to Georgia by a score of 24-14 in their last game. South Carolina led 14-3 at the half, but they couldn’t get much going offensively in the second half. The Gamecocks were out gained by a total of 458-309 and turned the ball over twice in the loss. South Carolina opened their season with a 31-17 loss to UNC, but did defeat Furman by a score of 47-21 in Week 2. The South Carolina offense is averaging 26 points per game with 357.3 passing yards per game and 53 rushing yards per game, while going 42.9% on third downs this season. Spencer Rattler has thrown for 954 yards, four touchdowns, and two picks for the Gamecocks this year. Dakereon Joyner has rushed for 75 yards and three scores, while Xavier Legette has caught 22 passes for 367 yards and one touchdown. The South Carolina defense is allowing 25.3 points against per game this year.
South Carolina Gamecocks Team Facts
- South Carolina has won each of its last 11 September games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- South Carolina has covered the spread in seven of its last eight September games as a home favorite.
- Four of South Carolina's last five games as a favorite have gone OVER the total points line.
Mississippi State Bulldogs Team Facts
- Mississippi State has won nine of its last 10 games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Mississippi State has failed to cover the spread in five of its last six games against conference opponents.
- Mississippi State has lost the first half in each of its last three games against conference opponents.
- Each of Mississippi State's last four road games against conference opponents have gone UNDER the total points line.
- South Carolina ranked T25th among FBS teams for Q4 win percentage last season (.538).
- South Carolina ranked T36th among FBS teams for Q1 points per game last season (7.5).
- Mississippi State ranked T16th among FBS teams for Q1 win percentage last season (.615).
- Mississippi State ranked T23rd among FBS teams for Q4 points per game last season (9.0).
South Carolina had a very good first half against Georgia last week, but they fell apart offensively in the second half. Mississippi State got blown out at home by a good LSU team and struggled with an average Arizona team the week before. South Carolina has a very good passing attack and will be facing a Mississippi State team that is allowing nearly 300 yards through the air. Take South Carolina in this matchup.