Memphis at Missouri Prediction - College Football Picks 9/23/23
Missouri Tigers (3-0) vs Memphis Tigers (3-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 7:30 pm (The Dome at America's Center)
Betting Odds: Missouri Tigers -7 -- Over/Under: 54.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Memphis will make the trip to St. Louis to meet Missouri in a neutral-sited, non-conference battle of Tigers this weekend from The Dome at America's Center. Mizzou leads the head-to-head series, 3-1, after winning the most recent meeting back in 2018 by a large margin, 65-33.
Memphis Tigers Preview
Memphis comes in at 3-0 after defeating Navy at home by four, 28-24. The Tigers opened AAC play with a victory in a back-and-forth game with the midshipmen, and they’ll look to tack on a quality non-conference win here against Mizzou. The Memphis offense is scoring 29.3 ppg, while passing for 266.7 ypg, rushing for 182.7 ypg, and converting 32.5% of their third downs.
Memphis Player Notes
• Seth Henigan avenged a 2022 loss to Navy by performing well in clutch time last week, and finishing with 218 yards and three total touchdowns (1 pass, 2 rush). The third-year quarterback has followed his 3,000-yard season up well with three wins to open the season, but this spot in Columbia will mark his toughest test yet. Henigan has passed for 791 yards with five touchdowns to three interceptions, and added three more scores on the ground through three contests.
• ODU transfer Blake Watson made his presence felt in a big way against the Midshipmen, gaining 237 all-purpose yards (169 rush, 68 rec). The Queens native leads Memphis in rushing yards (295), with 130 receiving yards and four touchdowns thru three games.
• Junior wideout Roc Taylor scored in the win over Navy, and he leads the Tigers in receptions (15) and receiving yards (154).
• The Memphis defense has allowed 13.6 points per game.
Missouri Tigers Preview
Missouri enters at 3-0 after defeating Kansas State at home. The Tigers used a magical 61-yard field goal from Harrison Mevis to take down their former Big 12 rivals, and they’ll now look to close non-conference play with on a strong note versus Memphis. The Missouri offense is scoring 31.0 ppg, while passing for 262.0 ypg, rushing for 132.3 ypg, and converting 44.4% of their third downs.
Mizzou Player Notes
• Brady Cook put together the best start of his career last week in the win over KState, going for a personal-best 356 yards and three total touchdowns (2 pass, 1 rush). The St. Louis native has come a long way since becoming the starter midway through the 2022 season, and he’ll look to deliver again at home here, but be sure to monitor his status, as he's been marked questionable for this homecoming spot. Cook has passed for 732 yards with five touchdowns to zero interceptions thru three starts, and he’s scored a rushing TD in each contest.
• Fifth-year senior Cody Schrader finished with 58 yards on ten touches in the win over KSU to extend his team-lead in rushing yardage to 280.
• Sophomore wideout Luther Burden III caught seven passes or more for the third straight game last weekend, and he leads Mizzou in receptions (22) and receiving yards (327).
• The Missouri defense is allowing 18.6 points per game.
Memphis vs Missouri Trends
• Memphis is 1-2 against the spread, with a 1-2 O/U record.
• Mizzou is 1-2 ATS, with a 2-1 over/under record.
• Missouri has hit the Moneyline in 5 of their last 7 games at home
Corey’s Free Pick
Missouri pulled off a dramatic victory over a ranked Kansas State last week, and I believe their momentum will carry over into this weekend’s contest with Memphis. Mizzou’s early season schedule should also have them battle-tested and ready for this contest, while this will easily mark Memphis’ toughest matchup yet. The status of Brady Cook will be a major swing for this game, so be sure to monitor his availability for this hometown spot when game time rolls around. Trust the pedigree of the SEC here, and back Missouri to win this battle of Tigers Saturday.