Maryland vs Michigan State Prediction - College Football Picks 9/23/23
Michigan State Spartans (2-1) vs Maryland Terrapins (3-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 3:30 pm (Spartan Stadium)
Betting Odds: Michigan State Spartans +7.5 -- Over/Under: 52.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: NBC Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Maryland Terrapins will play the Michigan State Spartans in a Big Ten game on Saturday afternoon at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, Michigan. Maryland has started the season undefeated, but they have started games very slowly, while Michigan State is coming off of a blowout loss to Washington at home.
The Maryland Terrapins are 3-0 this season after they defeated Virginia by a score of 42-14 in their last game. Maryland trailed 14-0 in the first quarter, but they responded by scoring 42 unanswered points for the win. The Terrapins out gained Virginia by a total of 461-354 and forced four turnovers in the game. Maryland defeated Charlotte by a score of 38-20 in Week 2 and Towson by a score of 38-6 in Week 1. The Maryland offense is scoring 39.3 points per game with 304 passing yards per game and 176 rushing yards per game, while going 53.7% on third down conversions. Taulia Tagovailoa has thrown for 889 yards, five touchdowns, and two interceptions for the Terrapins this season. Roman Hemby has rushed for 243 yards and four scores, while Jeshaun Jones has caught 13 passes for 198 yards and two touchdowns. The Maryland defense is giving up 13.3 points against per game and has had some struggles in the first halves of their last two games.
Michigan State Preview
The Michigan State Spartans are 2-1 this season after they lost to Washington by a score of 41-7 last week. Michigan State trailed 41-0 heading into the fourth quarter, but was able to avoid the shutout with a late touchdown. MSU was out gained by a total of 713-261 and allowed Washington throw for 536 yards in the game. The Spartans defeated Richmond in Week 2 by a score of 45-14 and Central Michigan in Week 1 by a score of 31-7. The Michigan State offense is averaging 27.7 points per game with 263.3 passing yards per game and 114 rushing yards per game, while going 42.1% on third downs. Noah Kim has thrown for 707 yards, five touchdowns, and one interception for the Spartans this season. Nathan Carter has rushed for 272 yards and four scores, while Christian Fitzpatrick has caught six passes for 164 yards this year. The Michigan State defense is allowing 20.7 points against per game and was absolutely torched last week against Washington.
Michigan State Spartans Team Facts
- Michigan State has won each of its last five matches at Spartan Stadium when playing with a rest disadvantage.
- Michigan State has covered the spread in each of its last four home matches when playing with a rest disadvantage.
- Seven of Michigan State's last eight games against conference opponents at Spartan Stadium have gone OVER the total points line.
Maryland Terrapins Team Facts
- Maryland has won each of its last nine September games as a favorite.
- Maryland has failed to cover the spread in each of its last three away matches when playing with a rest advantage.
- Maryland has lost the first half in each of its last four road games against conference opponents.
- Six of Maryland's last seven September games as a road favorite have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Maryland ranked T13th among FBS teams for H2 win percentage last season (.692).
- Maryland was one of only 20 FBS teams to win 3+ games when trailing at HT last season.
The Spartans will try to bounce back after a very bad performance last week against Washington, but they will face another team that can sling it around here. Maryland has started the last two games very slow, but they have been able to wake up and run away with two wins. Michigan State is dealing with some distractions off of the field and their defense last week was pathetic. I am going to fade Sparty and take Maryland here.