LA Tech at Nebraska Prediction - College Football Picks 9/23/23
Nebraska Cornhuskers (1-2) vs LA Tech Bulldogs (2-2)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 3:30 pm (Tom Osborne Field at Memorial Stadium)
Betting Odds: Nebraska Cornhuskers -18.5 -- Over/Under: 49 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Louisiana Tech Bulldogs will head up to Lincoln to meet the Nebraska Cornhuskers in non-conference play this Saturday from Memorial Stadium on the Big Ten Network. Nebraska has won both meetings, with the most recent coming in 2006, 49-10.
Louisiana Tech Bulldogs Preview
Louisiana Tech comes in at 2-2 after losing to North Texas at home, 40-37. The Bulldogs had their rally cut short by a last second field goal by the Mean Green, and they’ll attempt to bring the fight here in Lincoln this weekend. The Louisiana Tech offense is scoring 31.0 ppg, while passing for 225.5 ypg, rushing for 181.0 ypg, and converting 44.7% of their third downs.
LA Tech Player Notes
• Hank Bachmeier’s status will be worth monitoring for this weekend, as the veteran quarterback was taken out of the North Texas game. Sophomore QB Jack Turner passed for 145 yards and a score as his replacement against UNT.
• Freshman back Keith Willis Jr. leads the team in rushing through four games with 240 yards, but Miami (OH) transfer Tyre Shelton burst onto the scene with 152 yards rushing in the loss to North Texas, and may be due for more work.
• Senior wideout Smoke Harris continues to be dynamic for the Bulldogs, as he opened the season with a 11-catch, 155-yard performance against FIU, and he scored twice in the shootout with UNT last weekend. Harris is first on the team in receptions (24) and receiving yards (288) through four games.
• The Louisiana Tech defense has allowed 29.0 points per game.
Nebraska Cornhuskers Preview
Nebraska enters at 1-2 after defeating Northern Illinois at home. The Cornhuskers finally got into the win column after losing to Minnesota and Colorado, and they’ll attempt to get back to .500 this weekend. The Nebraska offense is scoring 19.7 ppg, while passing for 130.3 ypg, rushing for 209.0 ypg, and converting 44.7% of their third downs.
Nebraska Player Notes
• Heinrich Haarberg got the nod over Jeff Sims last week, and delivered with 158 passing yards, 98 rushing yards, and three total touchdowns (2 pass, 1 rush). The Kearney native brings a similar dual threat skill set to Sims, so there’s a chance he gets the call again this weekend.
• Sophomore back Gave Ervin Jr. surpassed the 70-yard mark again in the win over NIU, and he leads the Huskers in rushing yards (196).
• The Cornhuskers have lacked a consistent passing game thru three weeks, and UVA transfer Billy Kemp IV leads the team with eight receptions.
• The Nebraska defense is allowing 20.0 points per game.
Louisiana Tech vs Nebraska Trends
• La. Tech is 1-3 against the spread, with a 2-2 O/U record.
• Nebraska is 2-1 ATS, with a 2-1 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
Nebraska’s questions at the quarterback position make this steep margin a bit questionable. Jeff Sims got the short end of the stick facing Power 5 defenses in Minnesota and Colorado, but after leading the Huskers to their first win, Heinrich Haarberg will likely return under center, and I still don’t think that warrants a three-touchdown spread. Louisiana Tech’s QB situation has its own issues, and this game may simply come down to how well the Blackshirts defend at home. Take the Under for this non-conference matchuo