Kent State vs Fresno State Prediction - College Football Picks 9/23/23
Fresno State Bulldogs (3-0) vs Kent State Golden Flashes (1-2)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 10:30 pm (Valley Children's Stadium)
Betting Odds: Fresno State Bulldogs -28 -- Over/Under: 48.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: CBSSports Network Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Kent State Golden Flashes will play the Fresno State Bulldogs in a non-conference game on Saturday night at Bulldog Stadium in Fresno, California. Kent State got their first win of the season in Week 3, while Fresno State knocked off their second Power-Five team of the season.
Kent State Preview
The Kent State Golden Flashes are 1-2 this season after they defeated Central Connecticut State by a score of 38-10 in their last game. Kent State scored the first 38 points in this game, all coming in the first three quarters, and they cruised to the victory. The Golden Flashes out gained CCSU by a total of 467-153 and forced two turnovers in the game. Kent State lost to UCF by a score of 56-6 in Week 1 and Arkansas by a score of 28-6 in Week 2. The Kent State offense is averaging 16.7 points per game with 163.7 passing yards per game and 138.3 rushing yards per game, while going 40% on third downs. Michael Alaimo has thrown for 491 yards, one touchdown, and three interceptions for the Golden Flashes this season. Gavin Garcia has rushed for 238 yards and two scores, while Trell Harris has caught 11 passes for 208 yards and one touchdown. The Kent State defense is giving up 31.3 points against per game this year.
Fresno State Preview
The Fresno State Bulldogs are 3-0 this season after they defeated Arizona State by a score of 29-0 last week. Fresno State dominated this game and led 16-0 at the half, before completing the shutout victory in the second half. The Bulldogs out gained ASU by a total of 350-230 and forced eight turnovers in the win. Fresno State defeated Purdue by a score of 39-35 in Week 1 and Eastern Washington by a score of 34-31 in Week 2. The Fresno State offense is scoring 34 points per game with 295 passing yards per game and 105.3 rushing yards per game, while going 45.1% on third down conversions. Mikey Keene has thrown for 880 yards, eight touchdowns, and two interceptions for the Bulldogs this season. Elijah Gilliam has rushed for 248 yards and two touchdowns, while Erik Brooks has caught 28 passes for 369 yards and three scores. The Fresno State defense is allowing 22 points against per game this season.
Fresno State Bulldogs Team Facts
- Fresno State has won each of its last 12 games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Fresno State has failed to cover the spread in each of its last four September games as a home favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Fresno State has won the first quarter in three of its last four games against non-conference opponents.
- Fresno State has won the first half in four of its last five games against non-conference opponents.
- Ten of Fresno State's last 12 home games in September have gone OVER the total points line.
Kent State Golden Flashes Team Facts
- Kent State has lost each of its last 11 September road games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Kent State has covered the spread in five of its last six games against non-conference opponents.
- Kent State has lost the first half in three of its last four games against non-conference opponents.
- Six of Kent State's last seven road games in September have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Fresno State ranked 14th among FBS teams for Q1 points allowed per game last season (3.6).
- Fresno State ranked 16th among FBS teams for H1 points allowed per game last season (9.1).
- Kent State ranked 30th among FBS teams for Q2 points per game last season (10.2).
Kent State was able to pick up their first win of the season in their last game, but they are still looking for their first win against a FBS team in 2023. Fresno State has been very good through three games, winning games on the road against Purdue and Arizona State. Fresno State is averaging close to 300 passing yards per game, but they may look to target the Kent State rush defense that is allowing over 220 yards per game. This Kent State team has some major problems, but I think they may catch this Fresno State team looking past them. I think Fresno State gets the win, but I am taking Kent State with the points.