Georgia Tech at Wake Forest Prediction - College Football Picks 9/23/23
Wake Forest Demon Deacons (3-0) vs Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (1-2)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 6:30 pm (Allegacy Federal Credit Union Stadium)
Betting Odds: Wake Forest Demon Deacons -7 -- Over/Under: 60.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets will head to Winston-Salem to face the Wake Forest Demon Deacons in the ACC play this Saturday from Allegacy Union Stadium. Georgia Tech and Wake Forest have met periodically thru the years as ACC foes, and the Yellow Jackets lead the head-to-head series, after winning seven of nine meetings since 2000.
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Preview
Georgia Tech comes in at 1-2 after losing to Ole Miss in Oxford, 48-23. The Yellow Jackets were outmatched from the jump by the Rebels, and they’ll look to avoid an 0-2 start in ACC play this weekend in Carolina. The GT offense is scoring 35.0 ppg, while passing for 310.0 ypg, rushing for 203.3 ypg, and converting 53.5% of their third downs.
Georgia Tech Player Notes
• Haynes King did all he could to keep up with Ole Miss last weekend, passing for 307 yards, with three total touchdowns (2 pass, 1 rush). The former Texas A&M QB has performed well with GT despite their early record, and he’ll attempt to get them back into the win column this weekend. King has totaled 910 passing yards, with nine touchdowns to one interception through three games
• Sophomore back Jamal Haynes gained 72 yards in the loss to Ole Miss, and he leads GT in rushing yards (236).
• Louisville transfer Trey Cooley has added 196 yards and three scores on the ground.
• Freshman wideout Eric Singleton Jr. has scored in each of the first three games, and he leads the team in receptions (14) and receiving yards (200).
• The GT defense is allowing 33.3 points per game.
Wake Forest Demon Deacons Preview
Wake Forest enters at 3-0 after defeating Old Dominion in Norfolk by three, 3-0. The Demon Deacons used a huge fourth quarter to avoid the non-conference upset, and they’ll now look to open ACC play strong here at home. The Wake offense is scoring 33.3 ppg, while passing for 279.0 ypg, rushing for 161.0 ypg, and converting 46.7% of their third downs.
Wake Forest Player Notes
• Mitch Griffis did just enough to defeat ODU last week, passing for 312 yards, with three touchdowns to two interceptions. The sophomore QB came through in the second half of his first taste of road action, and he’ll look to clean things up here at home against GT. Griffis has passed for 837 yards with eight touchdowns to three interceptions thru three starts.
• Sophomore RB Demond Claiborne struggled against ODU, but he leads Wake with 269 rushing yards and one touchdown for the season.
• Junior wideout Jahmal Banks has caught four passes or more and scored in each of the first three games, and he leads the team in catches (18) and receiving yards (223) through three contests.
• The Wake defense has allowed 20.3 points per game.
Georgia Tech vs Wake Forest Trends
• Georgia Tech is 1-2 against the spread, with a 3-0 O/U record.
• Wake Forest is 1-2 ATS, with a 1-2 over/under record.
• Wake Forest has hit the Moneyline in 5 of their last 7 games at home
Corey’s Free Pick
Wake Forest found themselves in trouble last week on the road, but a return to Winston-Salem should do them well, especially with the pending light matchup with Georgia Tech. The Yellow Jackets have shown improvements on the offensive side of the ball, but they just haven’t been able to stop anyone defensively, and that could haunt them again here on the road. This total feels a bit high, but let’s trust Wake to come out sharper here at home with the manageable margin here for this ACC matchup.