Florida State vs Clemson Prediction - College Football Picks 9/23/23
Clemson Tigers (2-1) vs Florida State Seminoles (3-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 12:00 pm (Memorial Stadium)
Betting Odds: Clemson Tigers +2.5 -- Over/Under: 55 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ABC Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Florida State Seminoles will play the Clemson Tigers in an ACC game on Saturday afternoon at Memorial Stadium in Clemson, South Carolina. Florida State was able to escape an upset attempt by Boston College last weekend, while Clemson blew out FAU for their second win.
Florida State Preview
The Florida State Seminoles are 3-0 (1-0) this season after they defeated Boston College by a score of 31-29 last week. Florida State pulled away in the third quarter by a score of 31-10, but Boston College answered with 19 straight points and came up just short of the upset. The Seminoles were out gained by a total of 457-340 and they turned the ball over twice. Florida State defeated Southern Miss by a score of 66-13 in Week 2 and LSU by a score of 45-24 in Week 1. The Florida State offense is averaging 47.3 points per game with 273 passing yards per game and 189.7 rushing yards per game, while going 42.9% on third down conversions. Jordan Travis has thrown for 729 yards, eight touchdowns, and one interception, while also rushing for 96 yards and a score for Florida State. Trey Benson has rushed for 164 yards and four touchdowns, while Johnny Wilson has caught 11 passes for 209 yards for the Seminoles this season. The Florida State defense is allowing 22 points against per game, but did struggle in the second half against BC.
The Clemson Tigers are 2-1 (0-1) this season after they defeated FAU by a score of 48-14 in their last game. Clemson led 34-0 at halftime and held FAU scoreless until the fourth quarter in the win. The Tigers out gained FAU by a total of 367-293 and forced four turnovers in the game. Clemson beat Charleston Southern by a score of 66-17 in Week 2, but they did lose to Duke by a score of 28-7 in Week 1. The Clemson offense is scoring 48.3 points per game with 272.7 passing yards per game and 216.7 rushing yards per game, while going 48.7% on third downs. Cade Klubnik has thrown for 693 yards, eight touchdowns, and two interceptions for the Tigers this season. Will Shipley has rushed for 225 yards, while Beaux Collins has caught 13 passes for 197 yards and one score. The Clemson defense is giving up 19.7 points against per game and is one of the best defensive units in the ACC.
Clemson Tigers Team Facts
- Clemson has won each of its last 25 games against conference opponents at Memorial Stadium (Clemson).
- Clemson has failed to cover the spread in six of its last seven September games at Memorial Stadium (Clemson).
- Clemson has won the first half in 27 of its last 30 games against conference opponents at Memorial Stadium (Clemson).
- Clemson has won the first quarter in three of its last four games against conference opponents.
- Five of Clemson's last six September games against top-15 AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
Florida State Seminoles Team Facts
- Florida State has won each of its last nine games.
- Florida State has covered the spread in five of its last six road games against conference opponents.
- Florida State has won the first half in each of its last four road games against conference opponents.
- Each of Florida State's last five games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
- Clemson ranked T22nd among FBS teams for H1 points allowed per game last season (9.9).
- Clemson ranked T23rd among FBS teams for H2 win percentage last season (.643).
- Florida State ranked T13th among FBS teams for H2 win percentage last season (.692).
- Florida State ranked 14th among FBS teams for Q2 points allowed per game last season (4.9).
This should be a great game between two very good ACC teams, but it is more important for Clemson, as they look to avoid their second conference loss. Florida State nearly gave away their last game against Boston College, while Clemson has cruised to two straight easy victories. Clemson played poorly in their opener against Duke on the road and will be facing a very good Florida State offense in this matchup. The Clemson defense is better than Florida State’s but I am going to take the Seminoles here. The passing attack of Florida State will be the difference in this game, as they get a big road win.