FAU vs Illinois Prediction - College Football Picks 9/23/23
Illinois Fighting Illini (1-2) vs Florida Atlantic Owls (1-2)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 3:30 pm (Memorial Stadium)
Betting Odds: Illinois Fighting Illini -15.5 -- Over/Under: 45.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: Big Ten Network Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The FAU Owls will play the Illinois Fighting Illini on Saturday afternoon at Memorial Stadium in Champaign, Illinois. FAU is coming off of a blowout loss to Clemson, while Illinois did not find much success against Penn State last week.
The FAU Owls are 1-2 this season after they lost to Clemson by a score of 48-14 in their last game. FAU trailed 41-0 heading into the fourth quarter, but they did out score Clemson 14-7 in the fourth to gain a little bit of confidence coming into this game. The Owls were out gained by a total of 367-293 and turned the ball over three times in the loss. FAU defeated Monmouth by a score of 42-20 in Week 1, but they lost to Ohio by a score of 17-10 in Week 2. The FAU offense is averaging 22 points per game with 223.3 passing yards per game and 100.3 rushing yards per game, while going 33.3% on third downs. Casey Thompson was the starting quarterback, but he is out for this game and possibly the season. Daniel Richardson has thrown for 120 yards and one interception for the Owls this year. Larry McCammon (questionable) has rushed for 148 yards and one touchdown, while LaJohntay Wester has caught 30 passes for 264 yards and one score. The FAU defense is allowing 28.3 points against per game this season.
The Illinois Fighting Illini are 1-2 this season after they lost to Penn State by a score of 30-13 in their last game. Illinois trailed 16-7 at the half and never really had a chance in this matchup. The Fighting Illini were out gained by a total of 383-354 and turned the ball over five times in the loss. Illinois lost to Kansas by a score of 34-23 in Week 2 and barely beat Toledo 30-28 in Week 1. The Illinois offense is scoring 22 points per game with 233.3 passing yards per game and 123 rushing yards per game, while going 36.4% on third down attempts. Luke Altmyer has thrown for 571 yards, three touchdowns, and seven interceptions, while also rushing for 145 yards and two touchdowns for the Fighting Illini this season. Reggie Love III has rushed for 163 yards and one touchdown, while Isaiah Williams has caught 16 passes for 213 yards. The Illinois defense is giving up 30.7 points against per game this year.
Illinois Fighting Illini Team Facts
- The favorite has won each of Illinois' last six games.
- Illinois has failed to cover the spread in each of its last four games at Memorial Stadium (Champaign).
- Illinois has won the first quarter in six of its last eight games against non-conference opponents at Memorial Stadium (Champaign).
- Seven of Illinois' last eight September games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
Florida Atlantic Owls Team Facts
- Florida Atlantic has lost each of its last 16 September games as an underdog.
- The underdog has covered the spread in nine of Florida Atlantic's last 11 games.
- Four of Florida Atlantic's last five road games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
- Illinois ranked 3rd among FBS teams for H1 points allowed per game last season (6.7).
- Illinois ranked T4th among FBS teams for Q1 win percentage last season (.692).
- Florida Atlantic ranked T40th among FBS teams for Q4 win percentage last season (.500).
- Florida Atlantic suffered the equal-most losses by a margin of five points or less of any FBS team last season (4).
Illinois comes into this game with a 1-2 record, but they really could be 0-3 after playing poorly against Toledo in Week 1. FAU is also 1-2 and they just lost their starting quarterback to injury last week. Illinois benched Altmyer in the loss to Penn State, but he is expected to be back under center for this game. The Illinois defense has struggled, but they will face a FAU offense that is not very good. I think Illinois will get back on track in this game and I like them to win by a few scores.