Eastern Michigan vs Jacksonville State Prediction - College Football Picks 9/23/23
Jacksonville State Gamecocks (2-1) vs Eastern Michigan Eagles (2-1)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 5:00 pm (Burgess-Snow Field at JSU Stadium)
Betting Odds: Jacksonville State Gamecocks -6.5 -- Over/Under: 52.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN+ Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Eastern Michigan Eagles will play the Jacksonville State Gamecocks in a non-conference game on Saturday evening at Burgess-Snow Field in Jacksonville, Alabama. Eastern Michigan is coming off of a home win against UMass, while Jacksonville State is coming off of a bye week.
Eastern Michigan Preview
The Eastern Michigan Eagles are 2-1 this season after they defeated UMass by a score of 19-17 in their last game. Eastern Michigan trailed 17-13 with two minutes left, but they were able to score the game winning touchdown with 1:20 left in the game. The Eagles were out gained by a total of 464-371, but they forced four turnovers in the win. Eastern Michigan defeated Howard to open the season by a score of 33-23, but lost to Minnesota in Week 2 by a score of 25-6 on the road. The EMU offense is scoring 19.3 points per game with 134.3 passing yards per game and 135 rushing yards per game, while going 32.4% on third downs. Austin Smith has thrown for 403 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions, while rushing for 60 yards for the Eagles this year. Samson Evans has rushed for 214 yards and one touchdown, while Tanner Knue has caught 15 passes for 119 yards and one score. The EMU defense is allowing 21.7 points against per game.
Jacksonville State Preview
The Jacksonville State Gamecocks are 2-1 this season after they lost to Coastal Carolina by a score of 30-16 in their last game. Jacksonville State trailed 10-9 at the half, but Coastal Carolina rattled off 20 straight points in the first 18 minutes of the second half for the win. The Gamecocks were out gained by a total of 399-393 and turned the ball over once in the loss. Jacksonville State defeated UTEP by a score of 17-14 in Week 0 and ETSU by a score of 49-3 in Week 1. The Jacksonville State offense is averaging 27.3 points per game with 133.7 passing yards per game and 210.3 rushing yards per game. Zion Webb has thrown for 217 yards for the Gamecocks this year. Malik Jackson has rushed for 249 yards and two scores, while Perry Carter has caught four passes for 87 yards. The Jacksonville State defense is giving up 15.7 points against per game this season.
Jacksonville State Gamecocks Team Facts
- Jacksonville State has lost six of its last eight games in September.
- The favorite has covered the spread in three of Jacksonville State's last four games.
- Six of Jacksonville State's last seven games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
Eastern Michigan Eagles Team Facts
- Eastern Michigan has won six of its last eight games as an underdog against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Eastern Michigan has covered the spread in each of its last eight games as an underdog.
- Eastern Michigan has won the first half in three of its last four games against opponents from the Conference USA.
- Three of Eastern Michigan's last four September games as a road underdog have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Eastern Michigan ranked T30th among FBS teams for Q1 win percentage last season (.538).
- Eastern Michigan ranked T30th among FBS teams for Q3 win percentage last season (.538).
Eastern Michigan is coming off of a solid home win over UMass, but they were lucky to force four turnovers in that game. Jacksonville State has really struggled offensively, especially passing the ball, but they take on an EMU defense that is allowing 425 yards against per game. I think this game is more of a toss up that could go either way, especially with the Gamecocks struggling offensively, so I will take Eastern Michigan with the points.