Colorado State vs Middle Tennessee Prediction - College Football Picks 9/23/23
Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders (1-2) vs Colorado State Rams (0-2)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 7:00 pm (Johnny (Red) Floyd Stadium)
Betting Odds: Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders -3 -- Over/Under: 51.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN+ Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Colorado State Rams will play the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders in a non-conference game on Saturday night at Johnny “Red” Floyd Stadium in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Colorado State is coming off of a thrilling overtime loss to Colorado, while Middle Tennessee defeated Murray State last week.
Colorado State Preview
The Colorado State Rams are 0-2 this season after they lost to Colorado by a score of 43-35 in double overtime in their last game. Colorado State had a 28-17 lead in the fourth quarter, but allowed Colorado to tie the game with 36 seconds left. The Rams out gained Colorado by a total of 499-418, but turned the ball over four times in the loss. Colorado State lost to Washington State by a score of 50-24 in their first game. The Colorado State offense is averaging 29.5 points per game with 358.5 passing yards per game and 69.5 rushing yards per game, while going 44.1% on third down conversions. Brayden Fowler-Nicolosi has thrown for 577 yards, five touchdowns, and four interceptions for the Rams this year. Avery Morrow has rushed for 80 yards, while Tory Horton has caught 25 passes for 214 yards and one score. The Colorado State defense is giving up 46.5 points against per game and has allowed a ton of passing yards in their first two games.
Middle Tennessee Preview
The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders are 1-2 this season after they defeated Murray State by a score of 35-14 in their last game. Middle Tennessee led this game 21-0 early in the second quarter and was able to keep Murray State a couple of scores away for the rest of the game. The Blue Raiders out gained Murray State by a total of 508-401 and forced three turnovers in the win. Middle Tennessee lost to Alabama by a score of 56-7 in Week 1 and Missouri by a score of 23-19 in Week 2. The Middle Tennessee offense is averaging 20.3 points per game with 212.7 passing yards per game and 122 rushing yards per game, while going 43.5% on third down attempts this season. Nicholas Vattiato has thrown for 632 yards, five touchdowns, and two interceptions for the Blue Raiders this season. Jaiden Credle has rushed for 142 yards and one touchdown, while Jeremy Tate Jr. has caught nine passes for 129 yards and one score. The Middle Tennessee defense is allowing 31 points against per game this year.
Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders Team Facts
- Middle Tennessee has won each of its last three games at Johnny Floyd Stadium.
- Middle Tennessee has failed to cover the spread in each of its last four games as a favorite.
- Middle Tennessee has won the first half in each of its last three games against non-conference opponents at Johnny Floyd Stadium.
- Four of Middle Tennessee's last five September games as a home favorite against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
Colorado State Rams Team Facts
- Colorado State has lost each of its last seven games in September.
- Colorado State has failed to cover the spread in each of its last four games against opponents from the Conference USA.
- Colorado State has lost the first half in three of its last four games against opponents from the Conference USA.
- Five of Colorado State's last six road games in September have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Middle Tennessee ranked T30th among FBS teams for Q1 win percentage last season (.538).
- Middle Tennessee ranked T32nd among FBS teams for Q1 points per game last season (7.6).
- Colorado State ranked T38th among FBS teams for H2 points allowed per game last season (11.3).
Colorado State was only a couple of plays away from upsetting Colorado on the road last week, but they couldn’t put the Buffaloes away and lost in double overtime. Middle Tennessee defeated Murray State pretty easily and they almost upset Missouri the week prior. Colorado State looked much improved from their first loss of the season against Washington State and I think they will get the win here. The Colorado State pass defense has bad numbers, but they have also played two very good passing teams. Take the Rams with the points here.