Central Michigan vs South Alabama Prediction - College Football Picks 9/23/23
South Alabama Jaguars (2-1) vs Central Michigan Chippewas (1-2)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 5:00 pm (Hancock Whitney Stadium)
Betting Odds: South Alabama Jaguars -15 -- Over/Under: 49.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN+ Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Central Michigan Chippewas and South Alabama Jaguars face off on Saturday in a Week 4 college football showdown at Hancock Whitney Stadium.
South Alabama Looks for Third Straight Win
South Alabama lost their first game of the season against Tulane, but since that game they have won back to back games. In the last game against Oklahoma State, South Alabama gave up only seven points and that led to the blowout victory. Carter Bradley completed 10 of his 16 passes for 152 yards and two touchdowns. La’Damian Webb finished with 198 carries for 151 yards and two touchdowns. South Alabama is averaging 28.3 points while their defense is giving up 20.3 points per game. In this game if the defense is good, South Alabama will be in good shape to pick up another win.
South Alabama Betting Trends
- South Alabama has won each of its last eight September games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- South Alabama has failed to cover the spread in each of its last four games as a favorite.
- Three of South Alabama's last four games in September have gone UNDER the total points line.
Central Michigan Has Been Battle Tested
Central Michigan has faced off against Michigan State, Notre Dame, and New Hampshire so far this season. The only win came against New Hampshire and even in that game the ywere really tested. The defense gave up 42 points, but the offense scored 45 points, and that was enough for the victory. In the last game against Notre Dame, Central Michigan scored 17 points, but the defense gave up 41. Central Michigan is averaging 23 points while their defense is giving up 38 points per game. In this game if they want to have a chance, Central Michigan needs to try and get the offense going early to put the pressure on South Alabama.
Central Michigan Betting Trends
- Central Michigan has lost each of its last nine September road games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Central Michigan has failed to cover the spread in five of its last six September games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Five of Central Michigan's last six September games as an underdog against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
South Alabama vs Central Michigan Facts
- South Alabama ranked T12th among FBS teams for Q3 win percentage last season (.615).
- South Alabama ranked T13th among FBS teams for H2 win percentage last season (.692).
- Central Michigan ranked T38th among FBS teams for H2 points allowed per game last season (11.3).
Shane’s Free Pick
This Central Michigan defense is an issue, and South Alabama is going to have no issue running up the score here. I do also think Central MIchigan’s offense is going to find success scoring here, and that is going to be the difference here. It wouldn’t shock me if both of these teams got close to 40 points, and this game is going to be higher scoring. Back the over to cash here.